Lighting choice

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by zigzag1331, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Im getting a 125wat cfl bulb, im wondering if i should get the duel so i dont pay for 2 separate bulbs, or both, or just the 2700k. Im trying to stay away from getting both because i dont wanna waste my money on that. And someone told me to get the 2700k bulb and start 12/12 from seed, but im gonna do 18/6 till 7-8"Inches so i dont think just the 2700k will work

2. How many plants are you planning on growing? What type of environment will these plants be living in?

The 125 watt bulb will grow your plants, but they will be very lanky and will not have very good yields. At least a 400w metal halide or high pressure sodium light is recommended if you are going through an entire cycle (veg & bloom) with your plants and have more than 2 or 3 of them.

3. 125 watts will do for 2/3 small vegging plants. You will want to upgrade to MH or add more CFLs for late vegging and go with HPS or a hell of a lot more CFL for flowering.

The Green Pages - Lighting There's loads of lighting info to help you.

4. Im growing in a stealth pc tower growbox. I cant have a mh or hps it would just turn my growbox into charcoal. So ive been told to just get the blue 2700k 125wat cfl because i wont be vegging for so long because i have so little space.

5. Ok. Well redish light is used for flowering, so if you're only vegging for a short period you should get the red 2700k light.

6. Alrighty, thanks alot bro

7. No problem. Good luck :)

8. Sorry I didnt know we were talking about a little grow box. I thought we were discussing an actual grow room. My apologies.

9. So am i sticking with the red 2700k, or should i get the blue, or the duel?

10. If you are going to buy one thing and one thing only, buy the red spectrum since flowering will be your longest period, and the red spectrum provides enough light of the proper spectrum to grow. Going half and half wouldnt hurt either.

11. I think there are dual-spec bulbs which give off half red and half blue spectrum light (i could be wrong), and there are ones which give off a purple light which is a mix of blue and red.

If it's both red and blue then I'd recommend this because the plant will definitely use both spectrums. I don't really know how the purple bulbs work so I can't advise you.

12. If someone can confirm to get the duel, ill maybe get that
    But for now im sticking with the red spectrum 2700k, ill be ordering that probably tomorrow

13. If it's a dual-spec (red and blue) get it. Sometimes purple bulbs are sold as dual-spec, and I dunno if purple spec is any good.

Find out. If it's really a dual-spec and not a purple-spec then it will be better than just the red.

14. ight thanks