Lighting.....can anyone help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Sacha_dune, Mar 22, 2017.

1. last thing I have to order before starting my first grow is a light....going with led but really stuck on which to buy. Keep looking on eBay at 300w - 600w. Not sure how to tell if they are good or not? Tent size 100cm x 100cm x 200cm Help please. I'm in the uk

2. When I buy something good I tent to pay a little more. Actually most of the time I buy the best product on the market, through research.

I've learned that buying stuff that breaks or doesn't work to its full potential is almost like wasting your money.

Buying items with a higher price tag/ reputable company name, is usually followed with better warranties and customer service.

Your tent is small so you need a light rated for that. I spent 1000$ on my light for a 3 x 3 tent, no messing around.

Amaretechnology.com

You can probably get a light for 400-500, it will be your best bet, using the newest technology. If you really research amare lights thousands of people own them. There's even a grow website that dedicates its own page on amare lights for people to do journals. And my 450-SE light is awesome.. will buy another when I build another tent

• Like Like x 1
  3. When buying led's - compare actual watts - not what the misleading led companies say they are. 300w is actually 135w - will only grow one plant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. #4 generic98547, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Not every company runs at roughly half the watts in the title .... There are cheap ones that will only run 10-25% of what it says in the title so definitely check the actual watts before you buy....

Special Queen#1
    https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/1432973/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thanks everyone

• Like Like x 1
  6. We don't use LED's....HPS. But we're planning on building some LEDs to go in with the other lights in the future. Luckily, I'm married to a master electrician and birthed another. LOL But with LEDs, you pretty much get what you pay for. Right now, the demand hasn't caught up with the technology and prices are still too high for my blood. But I would advise you not to go with anything super cheap off Ebay that sounds too good to be true....because you'll be sadly disappointed at harvest time. The lighting is the most important piece of equipment you will purchase for your indoor grow because the light source is the sole determiner of how fast the plant grows, how large it will grow and the weight it will produce at harvest time. With that small a space, you are most likely going to be limited to the LEDs because of heat...anytime you grow in a confined space, heat is the issue. And even with the LED, you will need to provide good air movement inside the tent to disperse the heat the LEDs put off. LEDs burn hotter to plants than other forms of light...though they seem to be cooler overall. You have to be careful at how close to the plants you hang the LED in the beginning to keep from burning your plants. Just take the time to do the research and make sure you are not spending your money on a piece of crap. If it's super super cheap, it's likely not going to be worth having. Lots of people on here use the Mars II series of lights. They are made in China like the rest of the cheap ones, but they seem to be a bit better quality than most of the others. You just don't want to spend your hard earned money on something that will not do the job. So take your time before you spend any money!! TWW

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks. It does seem to be the hardest decision......I've ordered tent and carbon filter and fan.....the room I have them in is quite cool but will have to keep my eye on temps. Lucky you with the electricians in the family

• Like Like x 1
  8. I agree, don't cheap out. There seems to be lots shitty options out there so stick with a good name. I like the idea of saving cash on my power but run hid myself because I don't want to shell out 500.00 bones to be disappointed.

https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/1387325/

9. In the end 600 watts is 600 watts though...... It wouldn't save money at all unless you bought a 300watt which you'll also see a decrease in yield id imagine haha.... And Im just using those wattage as an example not assuming what you run

Special Queen#1

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Good names as in.....

11. So are you saying all 600w lamps would give out the same?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I run a Mars hydro 300 that I bought off of ebay (I purchased from the mars hydro official seller)It was 70 with shipping... It runs 140 watts give or take 5.... Idk what you can fit in your tent.... You could buy two it's a few bucks cheaper then buying one now and one later it comes in a package deal...

Special Queen#1

• Like Like x 1
  13. Until I put up the tent I wont know for sure but was worried 300w wouldn't be enough for 2 plants?

14. One mars hydro 300 per plant would be fine.... You aren't working with tons of space... You can't just cram something in there that doesn't fit. You may be able to fit a Mars hydro 1200 in there Idk... You would have to look up the specs for it and measure it.

Special Queen#1

15. Yes so 1 300w per plant..... wondering how big they gonna get lol as I feel like it's a good space for 2 plants.....last time I saw one was in the back garden as a kid ha ha ha

16. Yeah you should be able to make that space work fine for two plants especially with some LST. I was more or less referring to your room up top for lights and ventilation. I'm not sure how big of an Led would fit and leave you room for whatever else. But I know you could make a couple mars 300's work (that'd be 280 or so actual watts) which in a tent would work well... Or if you just want one you could go with a 600 (same watts as two 300's) or maybe something a bit bigger and you by know means have to go with mars its just the one I use and refer to.... As the other guy said as long as it's not a unbranded no name youll be fine.

Special Queen#1

• Like Like x 1

17. One 600w which is most luminous efficient light but I would get adjustable digital ballast so you can drop to 250 or 400w on hot periods. Good luck

18. Thanks for being super helpful.......let's hope the fella appreciates all my efforts lol

• Like Like x 1