Lighting and Enviornment Control Questions (Medium Grow Cab)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Drumfounded, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Hey everyone! First off, I just want to say thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post their experiences and thoughts on this forum. Also, I'd like to thank everyone that is taking the time to read this and anyone who takes the time to give me a response!

I'm new to the forum (first post), as my wife and I have become very serious about growing. I have literally researched for years, as the engineering and science behide hydro is really intriguing! I have the cannibus grow bible which I have read three times just in the past few months. I have put thousands of hours into lurking this forum, along with a few similar ones. I have watched many grow videos on youtube, as well as a few DVD's.

My wife and I finally made the commitment and have designed a custom stealth cab along with a DIY 32-site aeroponics system. The cabinet is just to house the aeroponics unit. I have a small cupboard with a germination tray and dome under florecent lights for seedlings. I plan to get a light that is capable of using HPS and MH bulbs so I can simply swap them out for veg/bloom. This way, no transplanting, no BS. If all goes well, we will possibly build an identical cabinet along with a mother cabinet and start a perpetual grow.

Questions:

1.) Should I insulate the cabinet? The cabinet is approximately 4' long, 2' wide and 5' high. It is wood framed and finished with melamite. The inside will be lined with panda film. I have purchased an exhuast fan that is rated for 190 CFM. (My cab is only 40 CFM) The cabinet with be kept in a room that is usually around 65 F all year. I will be using CO2. I will also be installing one or two small intake fans on the bottom if they become absolutely neccesary. I feel like insulation is a good idea to help keep temps and humidity, but i dont want it to cause constant overheating. Of all the time and money we are putting into this setup, our design will not be able to house and control an air conditioner. SO should I insulate? If your about to tell me it depends on the light... hopefully your feeling super helpful today! I do know that I will be purchasing an air cooled light!

2.) How much light is optimal for this size grow cab? I originally was planning on getting a 1000 Watt, mainly because of the lumens rating. Then I realized two 400 watts or even two 600 watts could provide just as many lumens if not more. My wife and I both agree that we want to do things right the first time, instead of buying a light that will be replaced once we gain experience, we want the best light. I know that a single 400 watt light will make plants grow in this cabinet. But, If two 600 watt HPS/MH lights can work, but will require close attention and proper tweaking of ventiliation, that is awesome. I would be happy to put in the time and gain the experience and knowledge. So what would be optimal? A single 1000 Watt, two 400 Watt or two 600watt?

3.) Last but not least, whats the best way to make this an automated grow and control enviornment? My wife and I live simple lives. We are usually home reading books or playing video games. We work, we come home. spending time with plants is not an issue and is actually something we look forward to. However, as I mentioned before, we want the best grow setup that we can have. I would rather learn how to utilize the controller now, instead of doing it all on my own for a couple years and then feeling like I was 'serious' enough about growing to finally buy a controller and figure out how to use it. I am very interested in the XGC-1e. The unit is pretty expensive but it seems to do it all. Any experience with one of these? Do you know of any similar products that you would recommend?

Thank you all so much, I'm looking forward to finding the answers so I can finally start my own grow journal!