Lighter Thieves!

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by RawStoner, Jan 27, 2013.

1. I have this friend, let's just call him James. James is a really good guy, he's super open-minded and understands that everyone on this planet comes from a different background and was born into a different situation. He doesn't judge people and he's an activist for a variety of causes.

The reason I mention all of this is that he's got one major flaw - the consistent subconscious need to STEAL everyone's lighters. I've known this kid around 2 years and in that time, he's stolen at least 5 of my lighters. It's partially my fault for not paying attention, especially since I know he's a lighterthief. He genuinely doesn't even realize he just pocketed someone's lighter after he asks for a light.

But many a time, he pockets one of my lighters, then the next day I'm all "James, do you have my [insert random color] lighter that I let you use yesterday?" Lo and behold, he checks his pockets and it's usually there.

I'm not the first person to point this out to him either - that he's absent-minded when it comes to OTHER people's lighters. Many of our friends always joke around how James has unknowingly stolen several lighters from them. :smoking:

All in all, I'd say James has stolen 100+ lighters from our circle of friends. I'm a firm believer in sharing between friends in a "mi casa es su casa" manner, but James is just a swindler!

Anyone else have otherwise good friends, who just happen to pocket lighters? :eek:

2. For future reference if somebody steals your lighter theres no need to examine their sub-consciousness, it's a bad habit of mine too.

3. I beg to differ. When someone steals 5+ lighters, it's a completely valid response to question their motives behind doing so.

4. I fixed this problem by writing on one of my lighters "GodGaveUsWeed's lighter! Don't steal me bro!" So whenever someone accidentally takes it, they go to use it, see that, and promptly return it.

Funny fact, it's the only lighter I've ever had til it's ran out, because I've ALWAYS gotten it back. Never ever used a lighter that long, they always get stolen

5. There comes a point. I've had a small number of friends that have had that happen to but only a few times, different groups of friends. Shit happens just don't be a lighter thief.

6. My roommate is the worst lighter thief ever. I can't even begin to think of how many lighters he has stolen from me and my friends over the years. I've caught this mother tucker trying to pocket my lighter right after I gave it to him to light his cig and after I said "remember to give it back." He claims its a reflex for him to pocket the lighter after he uses it, but the thing is he never has a lighter, and if he does he looses it within a day or two.

7. I've accidentally stolen lighters before. Maybe they're so used to smoking alone that they do it as a reflex.

8. I know a few people that always tend to end up with other people's lighters. I don't call it stealing because it's not intentional (I think). My best friend won't outright take my lighter but he often tries to stick me with his in a lopsided swap. I'm partly to blame because I always try to pass the lighter with the bowl. He'll let me pass my lighter once and then pass his back to me with the bowl. I usually catch him on it eventually though.

Overall though I would have to say I gain lighters. I don't take other people's lighters but they're always leaving them in my car. As far as I'm concerned if you leave a lighter in my car it's now my lighter, especially if you leave a water bottle and an empty pack of sour skittles on the floor too.

9. 5+ lighters?? My homies have all stole 20+ lighters from me each. It happens man. I don't consider a single one of them a lighter thief..

10. You might not consider them that, but they are :p

11. i never ever let my lighter get stolen. i'm always on top of that shit now. funny to see people get kind of embarrassed after you call them out on pocketing your lighter.

12. No.. but I ALWAYS lose mine )':

13. Start grabbing his keys or phone, then give them back to him the next day.
    "Sorry, I didn't notice they were yours."

14. im a certified light thief, it happens automatically, not something i do on purpose :)

15. Who cares dude its a lighter. Everyone pockets lighters and %99 of the time its a complete accident.

And

ONLY 5?!!?!!?!?!?! Dude I have defintely "stolen" at least 25 lighters from a double digit amount of friends in that time, and vice versa.

16. everyone does it at some time or another. it's just habit. just give each others stuff back when asked an you're good...

17. At least 5 does not mean only 5. :rolleyes:

Anything more than 1 is too many.

18. you seem like an alright guy as does this james dude....james is not a lighter thief. he does not steal lighters. he puts lighters in his pockets and then gives them back when the person whose lighter it is tries to find it. if you really care then make sure to ask him if he has it on the night.....you're smoking weed for christs sake and you actually care if someone pockets a lighter out of habit.......get a life?

i dont understand why people get so mad about this. lighters are like under a £/$ and in your case you even get it back.....the only people who should actually care about this are like 14 year olds who would actually have somewhat of a difficulty getting lighters.
    like i said you seem alright, just drop this whole thing its sooooo petty

19. I never stole a lighter, i always hand them back..
    but yeah dude.. just ask for it back if you see someone pocket it.
    that's what i do

20. at least 5 does not mean only 25. If you mean a substantial amount more put it on a comparable scale. :rolleyes:

Just a lighter.