Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

lighter replacement

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by nersersein, Aug 27, 2012.

1. I am all out of lighters and the only thing I have is a candle lighter. Those use butane too right?Are they more hazardous to your health than normal lighters?Here is a picture in case you are confused.

Attached Files:

2. I'm not sure, but I'd use it.

3. Butt loads of butane. Gross

4. yea but you light for only a short second ,and it usually stays lit for the rest of the bowl.
    Is it really that much more butane that a regular lighter.

5. Ur only going to use it for a session or two, or at least until u get a lighter. Ive used them before and they work, just make sure to dial down the flame. U will be fine in terms of health.

6. [quote name='"nersersein"']yea but you light for only a short second ,and it usually stays lit for the rest of the bowl.
    Is it really that much more butane that a regular lighter.[/quote]

It is. Just look at the size of the nozzle.

7. the flame they make is the same size as a bic. all it is is a big regular righter. you could use it until it runs out and be fine. go for it man

8. Get yourself a clipper

9. I've always questioned the whole inhaling butane thing. The lighter leaves a weird taste but I don't think it's the butane. Wouldn't the butane burn off as the flame is lit?

10. Even if the butane catchest fire science says that matter can neither be created nor destroyed so you are still inhaling the butane just in its gas state

11. [quote name='"tokinwhiteboy"']

Even if the butane catchest fire science says that matter can neither be created nor destroyed so you are still inhaling the butane just in its gas state[/quote]

It's already in its gas state when you press the red button it releases butane. I could be wrong but it doesn't make sense to me.. Wouldn't you be inhaling whatever the byproduct of butane burning is? Carbon monoxide?

12. #12 frankenfish, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012
    this is the equation for butane combustion. its only byproducts are water and co2. it burns extremely cleanly

2C4H10 + 13O2 = 8CO2 + 10H2O

13. I think candle lighters are pretty much the same, i mean, i dont care THAT much. If someone is desperate in using a candle lighter because they have nothing else then i dont think the taste of the butane is much of a concern in the first place, now if your worried about your health... just dont use the candle lighter often then.

14. [quote name='"frankenfish"']this is the equation for butane combustion. its only byproducts are water and co2. it burns extremely cleanly

2C4H10 + 13O2 = 8CO2 + 10H2O[/quote]

Thanks dude :smoke: why does it taste bad tho?

15. Aha... This is true... so i guess your just inhaling co2 and water like the poster below u stated

16. [quote name='"dudeindistress3"']

Thanks dude :smoke: why does it taste bad tho?[/quote]

Butane isn't pure. The impurities are toxic and add to the taste.