Light & Tent Ordered - Need ur Advice on Ventilation (Cooltube HPS)

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by TWTHEREDDRAGON, Apr 4, 2013.

1. My friend and I have been growing for about a year. Our yields are never anything to write home about - but we never really had a 'real' setup. Just had it in a closet with a 240w LED.

Our LED went out - so we are upgrading everything.

I've ordered a Grow Tent
    Mylar Grow Tent Box Hydroponics Cabinet 32 x 32 x 63" Reflective Indoor Room Hut | eBay

And I've also ordered a 400w HPS Cooltube Light system
    400W 400 Watt HPS MH Grow Light System Set Premium Kit DIMM Green House iPower | eBay

QUESTION: This light system is dimmable - my friend already has this setup. He put his on 75% power - so I'm guessing he is only using 300Watts - Will that make a big difference? Should you go full power the whole cycle? Or will 300W be okay?

Now I need to order the ventilation system, but I've got a few questions.
    I've been trying to find out exactly how this should work - and the best diagram I could find was this
    [​IMG]

QUESTION: But is it necessary to have 2 fans?? I know some people don't like the cool tube - but my area is so small that i'm not worried about the small decrease in losing the light through the glass - I actually liked the idea of the added protection the glass gives if the bulb explodes.

I live in an apartment - and so noise is going to be something i'm concerned about. Can I get away without putting a fan and duct on the cool tube?

Also - what fans do you recommend that are quiet?? But also won't break my bank account.

Thanks so much

2. Without a fan for the cool tube it won't be a cool tube, just a bulb with glass around it lol

3. Yeah - I should have worded it differently lol

My friend bought a 6" booster fan to go on his light. He currently doesn't have it hooked up to any duct work. Its just blowing on the light.

He then has another inline fan - carbon filter extracting air from the top.

I guess my question is - Should I follow the diagram and bring in air and release it JUST for the light.

Or is his setup alright to follow? I'm guessing you want to cool it to keep it from blowing right?

4. Or will THIS Work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjaOBfTy3VI

Carbon filter - duct to light - light to duct - to fan pulling

So the fan isn't blowing air on the light - but pulling the heat off of it. Just found this video

5. Just get a proper centrifugal fan. 6" would be great. Have it pull through your filter, through the cool tube and out of the tent (straight outside if possible). And crank that light up to 400, it's a baby light as it is.

6. So just like that video then correct?

Any brand or particular combo you suggest that is quiet? Since I live in an apartment complex - wanna keep noise down

I did find this

Amazon.com: New Hydropronic 6" Inline Fan With Carbon Filter Combo Odor Control Air Quiet: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Think that would do the job?

7. That fan is right but I would spend more cash on a good name brand filter (mountain air, phresh or can). You can wrap your fan in dynamat or similar and/or build an enclosure around it (check the DIY section). Also get insulated ducting, really helps reduce noise. Hanging your fan from bungees really helps with vibration too.

8. I pretty much have the same setup except I have a 600 watt hps. It has 3 settings. I also was wonder what I should set it on 50% 75% or 100%?

9. For a room this small - do I need a 6" - or could I get away with a 4"? And thanks so much for the help

10. 100% unless you can't keep the temps under 82ish
    I would say yes since you'll just be using the one fan for exhaust and light cooling with a passive intake, it'll give you the area exchange that you want.

11. Will running it at 100% raise the electric bill a noticeable amount?

12. I ran a 400 and needed a 6"..a 6" pulling through a light and a can 33 works great..keep it on 400 unless you cant control your temps..also duct mufflers cut the sound alot

13. My 1000's put my bill up like 45-60 a month so about half that for yours depending on your electric prices.

14. I've got Carbon 2 Cooltube 2 fan 2 out - QUESTION:

I had ordered a speed controller for my fan, but i don't have it yet. So i've got everything hooked up, but the inline fan is not pulling.

I have one oscillating fan inside that is keeping the temperature at a nice 75 with the door open. So its not a problem on my tomatos - but is it bad for my light or anything else for the heat to be stuck in that duct? If that is fine to leave it off if I don't need it - that would be great

Attached Files:

• GC.jpg
      GC.jpg
      File size:
      190.2 KB
      Views: