light stretching?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by NYSD, Oct 18, 2007.

1. I am going to be growing pretty soon and just got 2x1000w lights for my 12 big plant setup. I am wanting to grow alot of bud on only 12 plants but I dont want to stretch them when there little. How close should I put them without burning them and how far away not to stretch them? By the way growing from seedling if that matters? Hope to get around a pound per plant, is this possible? Going to let vegg for about 2-3 months, going to be growing white widow or PPP which one sounds like a better choice? Any help is appreciated.:wave:

2. A pound per plant? Well you want all the stretch you can get if you want that much off one plant.

From your first statement I can tell you need to take this a bit slower. Put away one of them lamps for the time being.

Yor mission is to produce a mother plant (one of each strain if you want) and engineer a working grow room. This is the best time to work out the kinks in your grow room and growing technique. And if your lucky, you might get a few ounces of mediocre weed while working on the mother project.

By the time you have sorted out males and weaklings, and have found the right mother, you will be ready to grow a crop. You will have done the necessary footwork to be moderately successful.

If you skip right to the seeds and the two 1000W lamps, you will have a mess of scraggle, wasted money, no seeds, and six be months older with not a good bud to show for it.

How hard could growing a plant be? Seems simple enough? Take my advice and work on the mom. It will pay dividends ten times more then any other plan. Think you have the patients to do it the right way? If you do, we can help you. If not, we will be here to help six months from now.

I like both PPP and White Widow. Both are worth growing. The better of the two will depend on the DNA in the seeds you plant. Not all my WW seeds gave me the results I wanted, but one did. I still have her three years later.
    The more attempts at making a mother plant, the better the chances of finding strong positive traits. Not all seeds will make strong plants.

Take the best mother/mothers from your first batch of seeds and start your crop from them. As you grow crops, mix in a few plants from seed to try and beat the mothers you have.

• Germinate your seeds
    • Plant them in rockwool or soil
    • Install the plant into the main grow media and lable it.
    • Take clones/cuttings off each plant after its about a foot tall
    • Plant/label the clones and keep in a small "clone room"/"mother room" under a few florescent lamps
    • Finsih your grow to harvest. Take note on what bud is best. Keep the best clone and kill the rest.
    • Clone is now known as mom.
    • Take 12 cuttings from Mom, break out that other 1000W lamp and start your crop.
    How simple is that?

1000W lamps wont make you veg for 3 months. You will be harvesting in three months if you have your setup right.

Indoor grows go for speed over bulk. If you get a few ounces off each plant, your doing well. You will yeild more as your skill grows. If you want a pound off each plant, then you better start thinking of an outdoor grow op.

Hope this helped. Up to you now.
    Always here, R.

3. Hey man thanks. This is my first grow and this is going to be a hobby for me. I have the money to do it the right way and thats what I want to do. I guess I was thinking that if I put alot of light on them and let them veg. for a while then I would get better results( yield wise). Is 12 plants enough for that much wattage or should I add more plants? I am hoping to get about 12-15 pounds if possible out of my whole crop. Could you tell me how many plants I would need to grow and how much wattage I would need to achieve set goal(after finding the mother plant of course)? I have a huge grow room(10ft ceilings,20ftx20ft) so space is not a problem. I have heard of people putting 20-30 plants per 1000w bulb, and getting 2-3 ounces per plant, is that true or not? I appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this, i have seen alot of people ask some questions and get burned for asking them, it almost makes me not want to ask any questions. So thanks for beeing a nice guy. But how do i not stretch them with that much light or do I not have to worry about that?:smoke:

4. Like rumple said, 1lb per plant is a bit of a stretch for indoors. Possible but your would have to veg for about 5 months and room for each plant to go wild lol.

5. Stretch is not a factor when making a mother plant. It is an odd question to start with. It has little to do with anything at this point and is a minor issue to an established grow op. Plants stretch 50% to 75% during flowering. It is a factor to know your overall height. Unless you plan on hitting your 10' ceiling, I would not even think about it as an issue at all. The guy growing in the PC case has to think about stretch, not you.

You need to set your grow goal a bit closer to the job at hand. Getting that space to stay cool, dry, and smell free is a huge goal (that I am still working on myself).

100W per plant. If I had that space I would think about a multi lamp system or a mover to cover the room.

Work the mother project on a small scale. One lamp and five to six plants. That will be a ton of work for a first time grower. By the time you have a good mom, you will know the answers to your other questions.

Start with germination questions and room/growing setup.

Peace, R.

6. Hey man thanks for the information. I guess I am getting ahead of myself, just trying to see if it is worth the risk of growing or not before I make the commitment. I do have a mover system for my lights that hooks up to my ceiling fan(also I bought some spare bulbs just in case). I have painted my walls all flat white for good reflectiveness. I have a humidity controller and an ozon controller for my grow room that I got for free. I bought two ionic air purfiers for the room and some dehumidifiers aswell. The room has a window that is away from peoples view to the grow room for new air curculation and I have 6 fans for the plants if needed. I am going to be useing Vic's super soil mix because I hear that it is awsome, dont need to add any nutes to it I hear, just water the plants when needed and flush every other week. Hope I have everything that I need to start me a great grow room. Is there anything else that you can think of that I would need, want to make sure I am not forgeting anything? Again man, much up's for all the help that your giving me. If you say everything looks good then I will be starting in a couple of weeks and I will keep you posted on the grow, I am pretty sure I will run into some problems along the way. Hope you dont mind if I come to you for help durring my first of many grows. Thanks again bro.:smoke:

7. Ozone does not work well inside the grow. It is used outside the grow or in the exhaust ducts. I ruined a crop with my new ozone generator. Vic's is great. I never flushed or added a thing to it.

8. Hey man thanks. I wount worry about the ozon then. Everything looks good so I am going to start here pretty soon. Thats cool that I dont have to flush the soil, I didnt know that. I'll keep you posted when I start the grow, just got to get a descent camera for all my pics. Thanks agian for all of your help man, I really appreciate it.:wave:

9. yeah best to listen to Rump. plus to get pounds off of plants indoors those things are gonna have to be huge and only 2 lights......if you had 4 600watt hps bulbs your gonna get way more growing power.

post growers i have talked to and read, and its even been said on threads here, 600watt bubls are the most effeict, theyre gonna give you more bang for your buck. the 1000 is just gonna make alot of heat.

10. The reason the 600w. set ups are refered to as the MOST eficient is cause they give off the most lumins per watt. And as far as how many plants per light,i have read of ppl here w/hydro set ups do SOG grows doin 9 plants per sq, ft. on a 7x7 table,over 400 plants.This is way down the road for you but possible.

11. Hey bro, so your saying that I should get 4x600w lights instead of 2x1000w lights on movers? Thats only 400 more watts and with the light movers I thought that it makes it way more effecient. I just want to get alot of bud from my plants just like anybody else. My first taske is to find the best mother plant, once I have achieved this I plan on growing 24 plants(12 under each 1000w light) so hopefully I can get some big plants that produce alot of bud. I am about to order my seeds from Dr. Chronics seedbank, I am going to get white widow from nirvana, PPP from nirvana, white russian from serious, and maybe NYSD from soma. These all seem to be great stable strains from what I have seen. I hear that they are all really great in potency and yield so, hopefully I will have my crop up and running in a couple of weeks. I will make sure to document everything to the full extent and keep everybody posted. By the way, what are your thoughts on the strains I am going to be growing(which one should I start with first).:smoke: