Light stress experiment.

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by 3rd Monkey, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Perhaps this has already been researched (didn't find it in search), but I've been seeing a lot of posts with hermies with blame typically associated with light leaks, with the exception of obvious genetics.

Has anyone taken a known hermie clone and given it a disruptive light schedule during veg to create a "tolerance" to light leaks? Same principle as a vaccination I suppose.

I'm no botanist, so feel free to school me if this is physiologically impossible right out of the gate.

I just started a small crop, so if it's even slightly possible I will guinea pig it.

2. Interesting thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yea, stoned will do that to you lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Im interested, i would like to do this myself one season. Im sure "tolerance" will not play any part in it, the plant's dont work that way. When the plant sense's it need's to reproduce it will chemically on it's own.

#1 The cutting's you would want would be Female/Feminized with a good background of "no known" history of any hermaphroditism for a proper base line.

#2 Put as many cutting's of the same age and strain through a "different" light stress test.

1a, 15 minutes of Full Light when there asleep.

2b, 1/2 hour of Full Light when there asleep.

3c, 1 hour of Full Light when there asleep.

4d, 15 minutes of Low Light when there asleep.

5e, 1/2 hour of Low Light when there asleep.

6f, 1 hour of Low Light when there asleep.

Also try Different colour spectrum's to the above mentioned, like the little Red light on a power board.

And keep everthing, i mean everything in note's. Good luck...

• Like Like x 2
  5. I’d sub to a thread like that in a heart beat

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Yea... I can't do all that yet lol. I was just going to do a simple:

Take 2 clones, one with disruptive veg (random on off) and one with normal 18/6 schedule. Run them the same amount of time and flower them together. Introduce light leaks periodically (1 week, 3 weeks, etc). See what happens.

I would love to see the results from the tests you proposed but I'm not situationally organized to pull that off yet.

I understand they will sense the need to reproduce, but can that sensitivity be reduced by light stress training to prevent hermies? This kind of light stress training lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. I really dont think it would, but that is gonna be really hard to prove/document and im not a geneticist only a gardener....

• Like Like x 1
  8. Same boat. I just figure if one hermies and the other doesn't, it's a start. Especially if it's multiple weeks of leaks. I would consider that sustenance for a more scientific trial.

Right now, I'm just starting 3 plants because if you don't have pics nothing you say matters lol. So they can be test dummies anyway since they aren't my main crop.

9. Sound's plausible...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Well I have the perfect backyard to experiment. Lots of leaks. I get some beautiful females that will throw some seeds late out there

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  11. I don't believe light leaks during the vegetative period would do anything to stress a plant, and even so, the stress caused by leaks during flowering has more to do with interruptions to the phytochrome system, which most likely causes the plant to think the season is ending and it needs to reproduce ASAP, hence it can trigger hermaphrodite expression.

Here's a short video explaining how the phytochrome system works in plants to signal flowering:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. What he said.:passing-joint: