Light schedule question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Argaha, Apr 15, 2013.

1. I remember back in college reading that plants require dark periods to use the sugars they make during the day or something. does anyone know if this pertain to our favorite weed as well? If so, does an 18/6 benefit the plant more during veg or a stright 24/0? Any noticable difference?

2. I didn't notice a difference in flavor or quality between 18/6 and 24/0. The 18/6 seemed to stress less during training but it could have been anything(strain, type of LST, water fluctuation).

3. Cannabis does not require a dark period during veg. However, many growers still believe it is better for the plant to give it a dark period, so there is a never-ending debate on the subject. You will hear anecdotal evidence of what this grower experienced with his 2 plants or that grower has experienced with his 5 plants, but none of this is scientific. Suffice it to say that both 24/0 and 18/6 work well for vegging cannabis, the only issue is whether one does a little better than the other.

Sometimes 18/6 can be better for an entirely different reason -- temp control. If your grow space gets too hot during the middle of the day with lights on then you could run a dark period during those hours so as to not be adding excess heat.

4. Right on. I'm running T5's so heat isnt too big of an issue. Just trying to keep energy costs down. Plus the 6 hours the lights are off helps me sleep lol not because of the light but the fans keep me up. Nothing a little Romulon can't fix:)