Light proofing door and Ventilation concerns

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by humbert, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Hi all! I'm new here, and I'm just starting my first grow, got one seedling popping up now and another on its way. :hello:

I've run into a couple of issues and I was wondering if anyone has some advice!

First, my box is pretty light proof except for the door. It has a gap that's letting light in, and I'm looking for a solution. So far I've considered using thick plastic sheeting like a few heavy duty trash bags to make a makeshift curtain that I can just pull back when I check on my plants, or draping a thick blanket over the door to keep out light. Any other suggestions?

Second, I rent a small room, and I managed to fit my grow box in it. The room is 9ft x 5.5ft x 7.5ft tall, and the box is 3ft x 2.5ft x 4ft tall. I have sufficient ventilation in the box, but my concern is ventilation in the room. Will having an exhaust in the box be enough? I'm planning on having the (cfl) lights on at night, but I'm in the southern hemisphere and winter is coming on soon so I'd still be concerned about temperature if I were to leave a window open. Also, my roommate has two cats so I can't feasibly leave the door open either. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for any help! :D

2. if your grow box is metal you could always try magnetic strips (jus paint them your box color). Had them on my pc box and worked great, easy to put on and take off. but if not ur idea works if not velcro, don know what ur box looks like