Light pollution and watering question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mikem417, Jan 7, 2019.

1. I’m running my first grow, doing autoflowers so I know they aren’t as sensitive to light, but I plan on doing photo period next. My question is.. when in the dark cycle, will the display lights on my timers, humidifiers, dehumidifiers and digital regulators put off enough light to cause harm? I know an easy fix is a piece of tape over them, was more just curious if this is enough light to be harmful.

I’m also curious as to watering, I have about an 1” of top soil growth on all my plants. I didn’t pre soak my soil, so I’ve just been gently misting the top soil in a circle motion around the sprouts several times a day as the soil drys out, and also lightly saturating the surrounding soil to the edge of the 5 gallon smart pots.. when should I try to give a good heavy watering to the soil.. I’m terrified of drowning out the fragile roots, but also can’t make it home several times to water each day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated by this first time medical grower

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Yes if its not 10/12 hours dark period only green light may he used your watering sounds ok but without a picture in normal light I can't help you autos need near ideal conditions in my opinion you should start with femanized photos good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I always fully soak my medium (soil) and then once had 12 hours to warm up under lights, I pop my seed in! Then just mist until she beaks soil.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Another great way Paolo

• Like Like x 1
  5. If low light levels mess with flowering im guessing the full or any phase moon that puts light on must fuck them up right but mine flowered fine in the light of the moon when ive done out side plants.

I think the lumens would need to be to a point before the hormones would drop off. But op if ya worried you can pop a lil tape over the screens but unless there super bright i cant see it being too much light.

6. When i start i fill 11 liter pot with soil add 1.5 liters of water then pop the seed in and cover with cling film wait till i see the seedling then swap the cling film for a placstic bell jar wait for about 5 days remove the lot and then wont water untill shes around 2 weeks old.

• Like Like x 1
  7. What makes a cannabis plant switch to flower ???
    12 hours uninterrupted complete darkness ??? Please correct me if I'm wrong but my advice wouldn't be saying light leaks are ok them girls need 12 hours uninterrupted darkness imvho.

8. I too was under the impression that so much as a random torch beam, or a appliance light could halt the flowering process.....

• Like Like x 1
  9. No it needs lumen levels to be up and atleast 15min as you can keep a plant in veg on 12 12 if 6 hours in your turn the light on for 30mins this depletes the flowering hormone.

But if they needed complete darkness as in 0 light at all them moon light or lightning would effect flowerig phase im not saying allowing light leaks but the small light given off by a lcd screen to display temps ect shouldnt be enough to stop the flowering process. Id have stopped mine loads and id have shit plants is this was the case a light leak beaming stight on to a leaf might but. Low levels if pointed away frlm plants or a bit of card taped over the fromt so lift it to read should be fine.

Again moon light can be quite bright but the lumens when ive been out with a basic tester never exceeded 10 lumens from the moon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. And you can actully flower on 10 hours dark but requires you to use IR in the last 20 mins thos sets the plant phytochrome when given IR alone kinda forces them to rest as this is the last light they wiuld sense in the wild as IR still come through for a short time once the sun sets.

Light doesnt just go out in the wild it gradully slopes off leaving IR then that drops off too so when We do this in a grow room it takes her time to shut off.

Once she shuts off she crrates a hormone once levels peak she flowers this requires 10-12 hours of darkness. 10 if you use IR 12 if you dont. Evet noticed why plants will being the flower phase in the wild a little earlier than bang on 12hours darkness?

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Awesome advice everyone and thank you very much. I’ll post some pics of my set up, but I’m running a 5x5 with a 6” carbon filter/circulator.. have a dehumidifier hooked up on a rh control panel and a humidifier with a thermostat on it, I’m running two 2000 watt leds (pulling about 400w ea from the wall) and decided on ff happy frog to start. Running 5 gallon smart pots with autoflower strains white widow, sour girl and amnesia haze. Also am gonna run the fox farms trip of nutes.( sorry for the info dump, figured it might help some of you experienced folks better make suggestions ).. I think my problem at this point is I’ve almost researched waaaay too much and with all the conflicting info out there, I figured it would be best to ask some actual growers. Again thank you everyone! And any other general tips or best practices that you’ve found helpful over your grows, by all means feel free to share!

12. Sounds good man but 5x5 and 800w of light dont sound like its gonna reach the edges with much inte sity what lights are they. Most 400w led will fill a 3x3 ish i have 800 true watts in a 3x3 atm but being winter i can whack it to full in summer i have to dial it back a touch.

Oh and if ya doing autos hit up my auto help pages its under tye stickys section :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. They are bestva 2000w. I have them spaced out a hair and seem to be getting pretty decent coverage.. if need be I can always add another.. this is sorta a trial run for me.. if all goes well and I get the fever, which seems to have already happen... then I’m going to pick up a few electric sky es360s I believe is the model.. or also looking at the optic 8+. I’ve also considered led light movers to get better coverage..

14. And I’ll definitely check out your help page! Thanks man! Do you do much lst with your autos? I’ve been reading up on bowl training to expose the lower nodes and produce more cola sites