light or no light?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Patricia Clemons, Jan 4, 2019.

1. So i have heard many things about light for seeds in soil! It almost seems natural to supply light, tho many say darkness until it sprouts.

The other day (my first grow) I let seeds soak for 12 hours, i then planted them in wet soil. Keeping in darkness. Its been almost 24 hrs since the soil move and no signs of life.

What are all of your thoughts on the matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I usually put my seeds in the soil and flow the 18/6 schedule and they sprout in 3-4 days hope that helps I’ve never heard of the darkness method only when germinating seeds

Mr. LedGrow

3. [​IMG]

Hoping they arent too wet. removing plastic, could put in light overnight, tent has a 600w mh bulb in it.. otherwise i could throw them in a closet with some puny 40w cfl to give em something

4. I've never heard of keeping freshly planted seeds in the dark until joining this forum. I've always planted them in starter plugs then put them under a florescent light until they're big enough to transplant.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. I treat my seeds now with an H2O2 wash and might even start using a touch of fungicide. I then just plant them in rockwool and cover them slightly with some excess rockwool.
    You can buy a seed from a supplier and it can be contaminated.

6. That is pretty smart! I almost wanna throw em under my 600w at half strength with thenlight at top of tent and cups at bottom just to dry them out a bit! theyve only been introduced to wetness for 36 hrs so maybe ill give it one more day..

7. The only way the sun or light helps a PLANTED seed is offering warmth to the soil, you can mimic this with a heating pad but light is not required

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. That makes sense. Seeings how its merely a seed afterall, and in life. Things do want to live.

Perhaps the horror stories of people drowning seeds is whats getting to me

• Like Like x 1
  9. Well, I'm not taking the credit for coming up with it, but I will share the knowledge. I did learn though that fusarium, a nasty pathogenic microorganism that kills cannabis (fast!) is passed on contaminated seeds.

As far as drying the pots out, if its contaminated, it won't matter. Do you use any biological protecting agents like Hydroguard (illegal in Canada lol).
    I'm trying to get my hands on some RootShield to try, application every 4-6 weeks, much easier to deal with. This is what they have posted:
    upload_2019-1-3_22-12-20.png
    I think you can get it granulated for soil mixes too.

I think you just need to be patient. Some seeds don't crack for a week. After that though... I would toss them out and start over, and disinfect everything.
    I should have added that some people 'nick' their seeds with a file to help germination.
    Good Luck Patricia

10. The only thing i have would be fox farm ocean forest, perlite, and water :) The contamination is new knowledge i have just learned from you, my initial thoughts were too wet of soil.

Patience will be key :) I still have taken off the saran wrap as a precaution, very dry air here, yet with moist soil humidity at seed level surely is at the roof :)

11. Other than the heat a light provides, there no reason to have it until the seed has sprouted and is above ground.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Maybe its too cold where the pots are.. or not enough humidity..

The getminated seedling placed in soil does not need light (wont be able to use light yet)
    being its in the soil in complete darkness anyway (dahh)..

Now as soon as that lil seedling pops out the soil youll like to have light available for it to grow towards..

So some argue to give a planted seed light is so it can have it as soon as it sprouts and not have to wait for u to finally noticed shes sprouted & provide light..

But really the seedling cant use light till it pops out the dirt then & only then, will light start being used by the plant..

Hope this is clear!!

13. Seeds in nature sometimes sprout during the night with no adverse effects. I put mine in a drawer until it sprouts.

14. Yea they sprout in darkness (has nothing to do with light).. it happens in nature all the time.. & theyll patiently wait for light in a few hrs or so.. but the good thing of growing indoors is that your seedling wont have to wait cuz you control s#%t

15. Man I believe they reach for the light even before breaking soil. Hell I germ under the 115 deg sun and 315 CMH

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

16. Did this for 3 years. It works. I did add Mykos when I plant. It really has helped my roots and plant size. I was an all fox guy to about a year ago. Now Nectar for the gods

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

17. Hold up. I read from someone’s post in here... I guess it was a couple weeks ago… He was having germination problems...seeds wouldn’t pop after almost two weeks I believe. So he VERY GENTLY cracked them with needlenose pliers and put them back in wet paper towel. Well, soon afterward, he had a viable taproot. I’ve been looking for an opportunity to try this.

“Tyranny anywhere is a threat to freedom everywhere.” — someone awesome

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Im going to toss the cups in there today, still no sprouts. Atleast in there it will be warmer and more humid.

19. That’s pretty interesting!! I would love to know more about this, and even try it someday soon! My giant pack of Mephisto seeds should be here very soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. I've heard of taking some fine grit sandpaper to make the shell of the seed thinner so it will break easily. Never tried it though...