Light, Magnetism and Energy

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Sam_Spade, Jul 13, 2011.

1. The following is a quotation from Dr. Richard Feynman. It is from a book entitled The Feynman Lectures on Physics published in 1964 by Addison Wellsey Books, in Volume II, in the chapter entitled The Electromagnetic Field. It has since been republished and cited in numerous other publications as a recapitulations of extended musings on pages 18-20.

Please read it carefully, with thought and attention. It is an incredible perspective. It is a truth of our world, demonstrable, observable with intense discipline, and omnipresent. I hardly ever express myself as experiencing "boredom" while I can exist in a Universe such as ours!

"Try to imagine what the electric and magnetic fields look like at present in the space of this lecture room.

First of all, there is a steady magnetic field; it comes from the currents in the interior of the earth - that is, the earth's steady magnetic field. Then there are some irregular, nearly static electric fields produced perhaps by electric charges generated by friction as various people move about in their chairs and rub their coat sleeves against the chair arms. Then there are other magnetic fields produced by oscillating currents in the electrical wiring - fields which vary at a frequency of 60 cycles per second, in synchronism with the generator at Boulder Dam. But more interesting are the electric and magnetic fields varying at much higher frequencies. For instance, as light travels from window to floor and wall to wall, there are little wiggles of the electric and magnetic fields moving along at 186,000 miles per second. Then there are also infrared waves travelling from the warm foreheads to the cold blackboard. And we have forgotten the ultraviolet light, the X-rays, and the radiowaves travelling through the room.

Flying across the room are electromagnetic waves which carry music of a jazz band. There are waves modulated by a series of impulses representing pictures of events going on in other parts of the world, or of imaginary aspirins dissolving in imaginary stomachs. To demonstrate the reality of these waves it is only necessary to turn on electronic equipment that converts these waves into pictures and sounds.

If we go into further detail to analyze even the smallest wiggles, there are tiny electromagnetic waves that have come into the room from enormous distances. There are now tiny oscillations of the electric field, whose crests are separated by a distance of one foot, that have come from millions of miles away, transmitted to the earth from the Mariner 2 space craft which has just passed Venus. Its signals carry summaries of information it has picked up about the planets (information obtained from electromagnetic waves that travelled from the planet to the space craft).

There are very tiny wiggles of the electric and magnetic fields that are waves which originated billions of light years away - from galaxies in the remotest corners of the universe. That this is true has been found by 'filling the room with wires' - by building antennas as large as this room. Such radiowaves have been detected from places in space beyond the range of the greatest optical telescopes. Even they, the optical telescopes, are simply gatherers of electromagnetic waves. What we call the stars are only inferences, inferences drawn from the only physical reality we have yet gotten from them - from a careful study of the unendingly complex undulations of the electric and magnetic fields reaching us on earth.

There is, of course, more: the fields produced by lightning miles away, the fields of the charged cosmic ray particles as they zip through the room, and more, and more. What a complicated thing is the electric field in the space around you!"

2. Conscious peacemaking meets HeartMath

3. I have "The Character of Physical Law" and could easily sit for a year just listening to everything that man had to say. If there's a YouTube video of him I've prolly watched it at least twice ;p

Anyhow thanks for the post Sam :D and here's a couple of my fav. vid's:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1dgrvlWML4]YouTube - ‪Feynman :: Rules of Chess‬‏[/ame]

This is about him trying to get a city in the middle of no where:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5Pgmx2WCsY]YouTube - ‪Feynman: 'The Quest for Tannu Tuva' Part One of Five‬‏[/ame]

4. Yes, and the connection between "us" and "these waves" is our consciousness, which is experienced through experience itself, without classification. From the place of consciousness, the waves of reality manifest as our consciousness directs them.

5. um no. At best you can say the waves are flowing "toward" our consciousness but there is absolutely no evidence that shows that the other direction is possible or happens. If it were true then the mind would be able to directly effect an object or environment and that skill would be teachable to others so they can repeat it. I haven't seen that yet, have you?

6. #6 TheJourney, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011
    You're caught up in your compartmentalizing linear thinking. This can only bring you so far. You have to begin to see the relationship between things. Feel the apparent contrast. See how it's one cycle of perception stemming from the pure experience uniting the "subject" and "object" at an energetic level.

7. I don't really have anything to add, other than I miss your posts, Sam - you always seem to have some profound truth to reveal. Very interesting read, thank you.

8. And you're caught up in your desire to prove your reality and no other,that's a close-minded bias. When you're criticised you do the same as others with no proof, you accuse those criticising you of being closed-minded, but in fact it's you who are blinkered. It's not an argument, particularly when all you have is conjecture.

Your argument also contains a veiled claim of superiority over science, that you have transcended 'linear thinking'. I see no evidence of that whatsoever in your posts. Could you tell me in what way you feel that your thinking is better than any of the other people here?

It's no good posting meaningless phrases such as '..See how it's one cycle of perception stemming from the pure experience uniting the "subject" and "object" at an energetic level....' You have to understand that for those who don't accept how you think, the above is just nonsensical. If you're going to make claims, give proof, not gibberish.

MelT

9. Bull.

MelT

10. wait gibberish isn't proof? :D

@TheJourney:

I really do wish you were right but I just haven't seen anything that would change my stance. And by anything I don't mean James Randi type proof, I'd be happy with a less stringent test than what he does/did.

11. Me too. But we cant expect people who believe in daft things like 'the Secret' and think that they can control reality with their minds to subject themselves to testing, that might spoil everything...:)

MelT

12. it always reminds me of scientology. "I have these powers but I can only use them around other believers" :hello:

13. how about in that" through the wormhole" that shows number randamizers that were placed around the world and everytime the world had something very emotional happen the numbers wouldn't appear to be random.. implining that emotions can travel through space-time, i personally think that "through the wormhole" is one of the best episodes ive seen yet

14. We're vibrations constantly dancing with, and going towards, the light. If you stop attaching to some stringent identity or box around reality, you'll get lost in it. Just experience. Then you'll feel it. Tangibly. Which will allow for direct perception of it, resulting in direct experience of it.

15. #15 Sam_Spade, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
    Because electromagnetism isn't tangible :rolleyes:

Thanks for entirely missing the point of this thread. May we all learn from your omissions.

I'm not a fan of your anthropocentric worldview.

16. He's full of pretense that's for sure. Not sure if I've ever seen someone who likes talking as much as he does.

17. Thanks Sam. I learned a new word today. :smoke::D:smoke:

18. The history of scientific discovery is filled with eccentric and flamboyant characters. It takes all types of minds. :eek:

And his calculus is top-notch.

19. i like this thread :)

20. Well here's to TheJourney's next greatest marvel.