Light leaks?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Mainegrower84, Jul 25, 2017.

1. When do light leaks become a problem? Are light leaks ok during veg? I keep my vents open in my tent because I don't have a intake port at the bottom of the tent. It has 3 at the top but it doesn't make sense to me to have the intake blowing right at the exhaust. My light schedule makes it so there really isn't any possibility of light leak but I'm just curious if it could be a problem during veg or only once they start flowering. Thanks

2. Only becomes a problem in flower.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. That's what I figured. Thanks I appreciate it

• Like Like x 1
  4. You can run ducting through the top and let it hang down if you have none at the bottom.
    IMG_20170725_162539.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. That's a great idea when I go into flower. I hunk I saw something saying that the intake should be weaker than the exhaust, is that true?

6. Yes to create negative pressure. Stops the smell escaping.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. If you were to use a fan for your intake, yes. But you don't need to in a tent assuming you have an inline fan exhausting the air.

You do need your passive air intakes to total 2-3x the diameter of the exhaust tho. So you'd need to run a couple passive air intakes, or a larger diameter of ducting so you don't have too much negative pressure.

8. So I have one 6" exhaust going 24/7. Does the mean I need two 6" ducts for intake? I'm new. You gotta dumb things down for me lol

9. That's correct. At least 2 6" intakes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Good info. Thanks

11. I thought I was gonna have to run a second fan.

12. You can run a passive intake if the outtake is strong enough... or maybe you could get away with running a 6" booster fan for the intake so you only have to spend 20-30 dollars.

I personally have my booster fan up top like my outtake but I have it positioned to blow on top of my canopy not directly at my carbon filter... thats always a possibility.

Grow journal

• Like Like x 1
  13. [​IMG]heres a somewhat accurate picture of my setup... the only thing different now is that my outtake is pointed further down to blow right in the middle of both my plants. I find that that works just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  14. So I could Be doing this all wrong? All I have is 2 desk fans going, with one strong 6"inch exhaust with carbon filter extacting the hot smelly air out the window?? I have a vent open at bottom of tent to suck in air, is this all good ?? Sorry to hijack thread

• Like Like x 2
  15. Yeah that's called a passive intake... if the outtake is strong enough that's perfectly fine... although running ducting out at a 90 degree angle helps prevent light leaks...

Grow journal

• Like Like x 2
  16. Phew that's good to know!! Cheers, no light leaks, I have a cut up cardboard box on the outside where any light might leak in... but could
    Be a good idea to cut some of my tubing as it's to long anyways.. thanks man.

• Like Like x 1