light leaks and hermies

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by andy83, Sep 11, 2010.

1. hi, im a new grower, i dont have a light leak, but i do tend to work on my plants when the grow light is off. i just turn on the room light to work(its not on for long, might do it 2-3 times a week), how much damage is this causing? think it will cause hermies? its the strain ReCon and i just started flowering today, if that matters at all

probally just being paranoid but dont wont to screw things up

ty for any info, really appreciate it

2. You should only work during lights on. And if the plants have good genetics you should be fine. But work during lights on bro.

3. get your self a green light bulb and it will not affect them and you can work on Ur plants with out the worry of them getting stressed out bro

4. yea green light will do it

5. Do not interrupt the dark cycle for any reason unless its an emergency... even as little as 2-4 mins of light can halt trich. production for the entire rest of the day!!! think of it like every time u turn the light u lose however bigger the bud would've got for that day... only work with lights on man

6. Green Bulbs will not interrupt the dark cycle as the plants get nothing from the green spectrum.

I make my dark cycle during the day when it's hot but I work on them with a green light if I have to.

7. i don't know if this has been suggested... but have you considered a green light bulb??

all kidding aside.. i have thought of getting one myself...

does anyone know if i can use a green CFL?? i've seen these at the hardware store and wanted to pick one up.

such as the one in this pic

[​IMG]

8. Should be ok when in veg cycle(12hr and above) but, absolutely no lights or, leaks during flowering. Best to just work on them during their normal light on cycle. Only acceptable light in flowering is green and moonlight......

9. I would be careful about using a green light bulb. It's true that MJ doesn't "see" green light, but a green light bulb does not necessarily give off only green light. To be totally sure, what you really need is a light source that generates green light, but a green light bulb is a light source generating whitish light that then passes through a green filter, very different. We see a composite of all the spectra generated as the dominant green, but keep in mind that humans perceive light, we don't experience it directly, and a green light bulb could be giving off light in spectra that the plants can "see".

As for when you work on your grow, you have at least 12 hours of light every day, there's plenty of time to work on your grow without needing to interrupt dark cycle. If your plants are not on a convenient schedule for you, rotate their schedule around to make it work for you.