Light Leak

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Oaktowner, Jul 14, 2012.

1. This is my fifth grow, I think, counting the second grow that got totaled by spider mites, and at some point about 10 days ago, I found I had a light leak during the 12 hour dark cycle. I should mention that I am growing some real saliva, four plants from Malawi Gold seeds from Holy Smoke. The plants had already been in flowering mode for a month longer than any of my prior grows (and I tend to favor sativas hybrids with their somewhat longer flowering periods).

What the light leak, continued over several days before I caught, seemed to have done was reverted my plants back to the veg stage. Now they are back to flowering and the buds are expanding even more, in spite of the veg growth--or maybe because of it? But since the more mature buds are only just beginning to sparkle with tricomes, I imagine I've set back harvest at least 2-3 weeks. It's also clear to me that for the first time, I am going to have to harvest branch by branch, as there are a lot of less mature buds down further in the canopy.

So it's been another lesson in what to do and not do, which all of my grows have been, to one degree or another. It's funny, but my most successful grow so far was my first, where I followed SeeMore Buds guide and stuck to basics. But since the Feds are preparing to shut down my dispensary, Harborside, I'm glad I've had two years of experience growing. As long as I can get seeds, I'll be good, but I will miss those Bhang chocolate bars!

If anyone has feedback about that light leak or anything else I've mentioned or omitted, I'd be happy to hear it!

Thanks, Dan

2. As long as you stopped it, there isn't much else you can do. From my experience, only the major light leaks cause issues.

Just keep an eye for ze ball sacks.

3. Good, thanks, especially for the reminder about male flowers--brought out by the stress of the light leak. Now I've got about 4 cf of plants to poke my head in!