Light layout?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by sethd513, Nov 29, 2020.

1. So I’m going to try something new this flower. I have hlg lights. One is a slate 3 300 watt rspec and the other a slate 2 200 watt 4000k. I think the sinks are 2 and 3 feet long and maybe 10 or 12 wide. I’m using a 2.5x5 tent. Right now the plants are vegging under the two panel at about 75%. They’ll be moved to the 3 pannel with the same intensity and up potted to 10 gallon pots. When they outgrow those I plan on putting them in 20s and adding the second light to prep for flower.

So I’m under the impression the big light puts out 300 watts and the small 200 watts. I’m trying to figure out how I should stack them in the tent for the final part of veg and flower. These are my options.

1)
    - - -
    - -

2)

- - - |

3)

- - -
    - -

Or any offset throughout the tent by leaving one light in one corner then the opposite corner holding the other.

What would you guys do? Where would you hang the lights for optimal coverage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Need more info ,,, what boards @ what Ma at what voltage .
    Example is my 2v 288 r spec boards are using a 2800 Ma/54 volts = 160 watts per board ..
    Ps the R spec boards are 3150 K

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Dr Lux meter is the tool you need when mixing hlg. The overlap can be way too intense, creating hotspots nothing can absorb. They say it doesn't work on led, but it does. It doesn't matter what number you get, just move it around at 18 inches to be sure it is all showing the same number. And just my no proof anecdotal observation, 45,000 lux is the max for me, with below 30,000 less than optimal. You may need to dim one or the other to get everything even.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'd probably turn the little one up, and lift it so it's "cone" of light mimics that of the longer kit. You can do most of it by eye, and then fine tune it with a phone app. Not the best to convert PAR/PPFD etc, but good enough to see massive differences in light intensity from zone to zone, and even it out a little.

Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. #5 sethd513, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    It’s a 320h-c1750a driver

And there is one of those for each heat sink. So the lights are both dimable and both contained to their own power source.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Will that be even though because it’s technically 2/3 the power?

7. Without a proper meter, probably not. But kind of like a general rule or rough guideline like staying back from another vehicle by counting "one Mississippi.....two Mississippi" to get a rough distance.

I'm all about symmetry with my lights, as much as possible, so I'd probably never mix two sizes like that in my flowering tents. I'd say it's pretty much an obsessive trait of mine lol!

8. So you are telling me to buy another light if that’s what I want. I like that idea. Wife won’t lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Well, no, but if you're like me, and now that you've got it in your head, I imagine that's what's gonna happen anyways, isn't it? Lol!

I actually do have two tents with mismatched lights. But even they have a symmetry to them.
    My 2'x3' mom tent has a HLG100 in the centre, sandwiched on either side by two 50W blurple UFO's. My 2'x4' tent has a 240W 2x288 kit in the centre, sandwiched on either side by two HLG100's.

10. I grew a pound with a long veg and two plants under 320 watts. I want to shorten my veg time so I’m unsure if more light will
    Be better. I’d rather utilize the mix match if need be. I’d assume the T is the best option if I’m wall
    To wall with colas. If just the center is full
    And I want to see if they blow up and I’m
    Not having clones in veg then maybe adding it side by side is best. I have an inconsistent light meter on my
    Phone. That should show me the hot points.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nice gpw.
    I imagine the smaller the tent, the less two mismatched lights would matter with the intensity and reflectivity factored in when they are mounted up high. It'd be like an egg shaped Sun in the sky lol

That's what I was saying in my earlier post, if you use a phone app it may not be the best to calculate exactly what your actual PAR or PPFD are, but you should see spots where Lux or FC's are drastically different. You could then tinker with dimmers, light height, orientation in relation to eachother etc

That's all I can really do. Use a phone app and use the sort of generic, antiquated W/ft² metric and keep my lights 18-24" above the plants. I don't have a legit light meter. Now I want a proper light meter FFS lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. I slammed my lights like 10-12 the last two indoor harvest. I’d like to back it off to 14 or 16 and see how they finish.

• Like Like x 1