Light for Veg Room

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Jamocha, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Wondering what kind of light I should get for my Veg/Clone tent?
    My main concerns are heat and electricity. I will have a 400W HPS going at the same time next to it in another tent. I was thinking maybe a 150W HPS but I wouldn't want to draw too much power, so I was also thinking a T5 light or a large cfl with reflector.

If I use a weaker light in Veg can I make up for it in flower?

2. I'd just get a 400w MH

3. I got da 400W for my Flower tent. I need to kno if i should get another HPS for my Veg tent or if I can go w/ something weaker like a T5 or CFL

Also I read that MH light is better for Veg so should I get a 150W MH light for da Veg tent

Idk what do you think? Also a good place to buy cheap tents and lights would be nice; I've been using Amazon

4. Get a 400w MH for the veg room, and use the 400w HPS for the bloom room. I use amazon as well, be careful as to what brands you choose. Secret jardin tents don't have any plastic connectors which break fairly easily. Secret Jardin and AgroMax are the best brand of tents in my opinion

5. Thanks for the advice. My set up is in my rm idk 800w coming from lights in my rm alone would go unnoticed but idk. Do I need a full size tent for vegging? I was hoping to get a smaller tent and keep the plants (vegging) short w/ LST for 8-9 wks or until flowering is done and the move them to the full size tent for flower

Also is ducting needed when using an HPS? Or can I just use fans and passive intake to control temps. I was going to get some ONA and a dispenser for order will that be enough? Will I need it for veg and flower?
    Sorry bout all the questions

6. Also my tent is 5ftHeight 2ftDepth and 20inWidth, is that big enough for 2 plants and 400W light or is it too small for HPS? Plz respond any1?

7. No love GC??

8. Yes you can use a smaller space for veg.

It is always more efficient to go with MH in veg and HPS in flower. You can use HPS in veg if needed.

When using MH or HPS heat will be an issue and you will need to have your bulbs in hoods or cool tubes and vent them.

If heat is too big of an issue use t5s at least in veg.

I would stay away from CFLs if possible. They are really not that efficient.

9. Thanks 4 da advice

10. you can get decent results with the t-5's for veg if you are concerned about heat/cost, but the 400w MH will give better results.

11. [quote name='"Jamocha"']Thanks 4 da advice[/quote]

IMO you should go wit 250w MH for ur veg. It sounds like ur tryin to just keep it a small veg room not aas big as your flower. With 250w u shouldn't have any to heat issues. And should stay stealthy for you. Not only that ull be able to keep the light really close to the canopy makeing them shorted bushy plants. Best of luck. Or get a digital dimable 400w switchable ballist. Then if u do have heat problems u can turn it down best of luck

chill & smoke some bud!

12. Thanks I like that idea makes sense. Thanks 4 da advice guys :)

13. The exhaust fan I'm gonna use is 80cmf & I don't plan on using any ducting, u kno like the tubing a lot of ppl have with industrial fans and carbon filter( I plan to use ONA gel plus a fan for Oder) will I be ok w/ a 400W HPS??

14. Yes you should be ok as long as you got a fan moving air around n the grow room and a fan sucking hot air out and a hole to bring in new air you will be fine I had 2 400w going in 2ftx6ft area and temps stayed in average around 70 degrees but I made sure the room had the prober ventalaion that's the biggest thing

chill & smoke some bud!

15. i have similar issues and concerns mate..and i decided to go for a 250w MH light for the veg tent. Plants seems to love em so i have no complaints. Light spectrum is 4200K though, so i might try and find a 6500k bulb once this one starts to fade..wonder if it'll make a difference.

16. Sweet. I think I'll go with da 250 MH then. I'll have to see how I handle da temps this first time round, cuz imma use a 400W MH/HPS all da way through then get a second tent for vegging/ clones. If da 400 doesn't draw too much power/heat ill get a 250 for da veg tent

Just ordered seeds on Friday last wk. I'm guessing they should get here like next Monday/Tuesday

17. if your'e happy with the power consumption for the 400w and heat is an issue, maybe get a better reflector? i was using a cheap generic reflector previously in my flowering tent and temps were high..

after doing some online research and reading, i decided to go for the adjusta wing reflector with spreader for my current grow...and all i can say is that its been one of my better decisions. It reduced the heat in the tent and increased the light spread.

Will probably get another one for the veg tent when my wallet allows me to. It really makes a lot of difference. I tried using a cooltube a while back which i got from a friend, and while it did cool down the temperature in the tent, I wasn't happy with the light spread..

18. Wow didn't know reflectors effected temp like that. Guess I gotta do some more research. I'm getting 400W digital dimmable ballast with cool tube reflector, are cool tubes really good for heat reduction( I know the name implies, but thot I'd ask)

19. oh yea, with your grow space a cool tube should be nice..you should be happy i think.

20. [quote name='"Jamocha"']Wow didn't know reflectors effected temp like that. Guess I gotta do some more research. I'm getting 400W digital dimmable ballast with cool tube reflector, are cool tubes really good for heat reduction( I know the name implies, but thot I'd ask)[/quote]

Yes they are. Your hood has a lot to do with your light you cant forget your light is almost like a lil heater it puts out a lot of heat so if u have a hood/refloctor that is inclosed then a majority of the heat gets evcuated out the ducting by a fan that you would have hooked up. Greatly reducing your heat in the grow room. The winged hoods are good if u have a good open area with good air movment and ventaltion. IMO its best to spend the extra $$$ on the hood/reflector and get and inclosed vent hood that you can putting ducting on and suck all the hot air the light makes out. And cool tubes are good but certain ones come with plastic as the cover and it warps over time the more expensive ones come with glass and they are worth it. I've heard it doesn't have the greatest light coverage but some come with a wing reflector that can be put on top to direct the light downwards.