light for seedlings?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SUPERHAZE, Jul 11, 2012.

1. i just germinated my seeds and planted a few of them in some small solo cups with soil. i was wondering if they need light yet. if they do, how much?

2. Everyone told me to keep them warm and dark. Like the top of a closet. Only when they sprout do they photosynthesize. So I would say save the electricity until you see sprouts. :) just warm,dark, and moist. :) good luck!

3. They don't need light until they break the soil. They do need warmth and proper moisture.

4. Leave your solo cups out by a window. Once they sprout consider putting them under a fluorescent t5.

5. Checkup: did they pop through yet?

6. they did pop up awhile ago and thx for the replies. i did put them next to my window and they still are cus i plan to put them outside, i just wanted to start them inside. this is my first grow and im having more problems now. there all about 4-5 inches and i think there stretching for light cus they only have one set of true leaves but there stems are long and there aiming towards my window. this worries me cus they havent really grown at all the past few days. any suggestions? should i move them outside cus i dont think there getting enough sun just being in my window? HELP CUS IM STRESSIN OUT!!

7. [quote name='"SUPERHAZE"']they did pop up awhile ago and thx for the replies. i did put them next to my window and they still are cus i plan to put them outside, i just wanted to start them inside. this is my first grow and im having more problems now. there all about 4-5 inches and i think there stretching for light cus they only have one set of true leaves but there stems are long and there aiming towards my window. this worries me cus they havent really grown at all the past few days. any suggestions? should i move them outside cus i dont think there getting enough sun just being in my window? HELP CUS IM STRESSIN OUT!![/quote]

You already know what the problem is, not enough light. With enough stretching little seedlings can and often do collapse under their own weight. If you can find a way to cover the stem with dirt for extra support do that, then get them more light before you kill them.

8. Yep agreed. . .

9. Get some daylight spectrum cfls it depends on how many you have but in general 50w-75w should be enough for the first 2 or 3 weeks.

10. Superhaze, what were your plans for those beans once they came up?
    It's too late for outdoors so hope you have an indoor plan?

11. why is it too late? ive heard of plenty of people startin inside them movin them outside. but yeah just an update i havent moved em outside yet cus im keepin it a secret from my parents haha, i have to find a spot outside for em. also there doing pretty good in my window, they get quite a bit of sunlight, and they have alot more leaves so i dont see what what im doin wrong so far.

12. #14 Olde School, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
    Your location says Michigan, frost in 2 & 1/2 months? 'Juana don't do cold.
    Plants need some vegetative growth time before the length of the days trigger their bloom cycle. They will still bloom, and finish, but won't have time to put on any size.

Your Mom's gonna kick your ass if Dad doesn't beat her to it!!!!!

13. Lol be careful when the parents ain't on board. Mine live on an acre and a half, in the middle of corn fields. A farmer caught me one time at the edge of a woods right next to his field and my parents house while I was messing around with some Mary Jane. . .I was 19, freshman in college, and had been caught by a seventy something year old man who made me chop down the five plants growing there. . .then to avoid telling my parents, I had to clean his hog barn. . .so be careful!!! And you will have to take them inside eventually, probably about the time they start to stink, to avoid the cold that will come in the end of Sept.- Oct. I'm guessing you have them.in a window facing the south to get that much sun from a window? . . But I'm glad they look better. It is fun to mess around with learning the right and wrong things of growing. I'm still learning this indoor stuff. But I would say respect your parents so when you move out you can do this all inside, and still be breathing when the time comes. Id kinda like to see what they look like lol

14. lol i hope that doesnt happen to me because i actually live across a field and the farmer lives right next to it and i plan to move them back there eventually. what a weird coincidence. i also have 5 plants

15. the daylight spectrum's we sell at my hardware store and the ones at Home Depot are different, mine are 6500k and thiers are 5000k, not sure how much of a differaance that would make, but seems like alot? the price is also very different, you can get 12 at home depot for less than i payed for 4 at my place

16. Because when growers grow outside they tend to start after the cold ends or frosts end and the plant vegs for many months. Then when the seasons change there are less hours of light and the plant knows to go into flowering to mate. Well that time period is fastly coming upon us so yea if theres no frost till later in the year you could but youd have a small ass plant.

17. k well i found a site that tells you when itll be 12/12 and it says itll start 12/12 on september 26. so thts about another 2 months for veg growth before flowering. flowering does start when its 12/12 right? this is my first grow so i dont know much. oh and the plants are 2 and a half weeks old already. so is 2 and a half months enough? becus i would think so. also the frost thing, we dont get a frost until like late october on average

18. I put a clear plastic glass dome over my plants and then put a ufo light very close to the dome. The glasses are cheap at any dollar store and help a great deal during the first week of rooting. I mist mine a few times a day.

At the very least you'd want to use a small fluorescent light along with the plastic domes.