Light distance for seedling? Using 24W T5

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Deleted member 1042670, Dec 16, 2022.

1. Hey guys I hope your having a good day. I have a new seedling that I have under a single tube t5 24W. I had it at around 11" away and it seems to be getting leggy. What distance do you guys think would be optimum? I apologize in advanced if this question has been asked frequently. Can't seem to find much info on distances. Thanks for any feedback it's much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Around 4" or so.

• Like Like x 1
  3. T5 high output can be run as close as 1 inch away as can CFLs. So as close as you can get without actually touching lamp to leaf. Seedlings can deal with direct sunlight and are tougher then you think.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Ok sweet thanks for the reply!

5. Awesome. I appreciate the response!

• Like Like x 1
  6. The further to the blue color the lamp is the better.
    Daylight is usually the highest / best at 6500K
    Cool white is around 5000k
    Warm white is 2700k and not that great at veg stage.

BNW

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I gotcha, yeah I have that jump starter T5, 24w HO 6500k. Just a single tube. So I really can keep it close to the newly sprouted seedling? Right now it's at 5". Temp stays at around 75F and never goes above 77.

Here's a pic. 20221216_155509.jpg 20221216_155538.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. #8 GroBuddy, Dec 17, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
    Better drop it lower or that seedling will stretch its arse off. Plants trained over but that's the only pic I have showing how close the florescent is. Only issue is as mentioned if leaves touch the light they'll burn. Tbh florescent sucks, good to start seeds with but that's about it. The light itself is only good up to 12 inches away. Light needs to hover as close as it can without touching leaves, usually have to raise it every day or other day to few days depending on growth rate. Need a fan if you dont have one, oscillating or indirect air from a stationary fan

Mine are generally like 2 inches at most away from plants, I'll let them grow into the light then raise it a inch or two. Mines a 8 tube 200 watt, agrobrite with eye hortilux power veg tubes

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Those look so healthy! Nice job. Lol you're spot on this little seedling is getting some legs already . I went in and lowered the light some more. Thank you for the input! Gives me more reassurance on these T5's. It's been so long since I've germinated a seed. In the past my seedlings would always be leggy because I was too scared to get the light closer. I usually only messed with clones. Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  10. These are 4 foot 2 lamp 56 watt each T5HO 6500k. They'll veg up a fair 2 to 3 foot plant but that is about the limit on the depth penetration you can get from HO fluorescents.
    [​IMG]
    Close as I can get without them growing into the light overnight.
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
  11. 8k on a Luxx meter. If you don't have one, they are like 30 bucks on Amazon.
    Testing > Guessing.

12. T5 as close as you can get them. Do not touch the bulbs with the plants . Upgrade to the 55 watt for veg .
    You can veg it all the way to its ready to flower with t5. I like t5 yes they waste a lot of power but the plants are going to look better then any plant grown under any led .