light damage

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dragonmantek, Nov 27, 2011.

1. what's the repurcussion for a plant being too close to an HPS bulb?

it's in its flowering stage, 3 weeks.

a couple of nodes and inner leaves looks extremely 'pale', will this heal or is it permanent?

and what can i do to prevent them from getting taller? they have a couple of inches left before reflector hits ceiling.

2. to close to a hps light could burn the plant i believe. im growing under t5 and cfls so heat isnt a issue for me but for you it can be. maybe why its pale. as for the taller part idk. you could try lst it.

3. If your leaves are turning pale you most likely have a deficiency of some sort. Plant burn usually crisps the leaves and points the serrated edges upward towards the light.

To decrease the height of the plant you may 'bend' the stem so the plant top is parallel to the floor. After about 24 hours the plant will heal and will continue to grow.

4. This happened to me on a grow and it light bleached the tops of the bud meaning turned the bud crispy white but i still harvested and smoked that shit and it got the job done still

5. the leaves look bleached and pointed upwards and somewhat crispy.

will this heal?

6. [quote name='"dragonmantek"']the leaves look bleached and pointed upwards and somewhat crispy.

will this heal?[/quote]

No it will not "heal". If you fix the problem it will not continue to progress.

7. [quote name='"dragonmantek"']what's the repurcussion for a plant being too close to an HPS bulb?

it's in its flowering stage, 3 weeks.

a couple of nodes and inner leaves looks extremely 'pale', will this heal or is it permanent?

and what can i do to prevent them from getting taller? they have a couple of inches left before reflector hits ceiling.[/quote]

Bend the plant, LST style. The burnt leaves are gonners. But the bud will take time to heal. This will slow the process throughout the rest of the plant, while it heals. Bending it will also expose more bud sites.

8. all the stems are really strong, they'd snap if i bent them at all.

9. It's unlikely that you can produce "too much" light, artificially. The real threat is the heat from the the light source. You should be able to put the back of your hand under the light, comfortably, without it feeling too warm, let alone hot. That's as close to the light as your plants should get.

There are very advanced methods of using specific spectrums of light to slow the flowering stretch, but it's more practical to train your plant away from the light. The veg growth should only happen 3-4 weeks after the flip of the switch. But if you have a lanky sativa, they could keep going a bit..

10. Dragon,

To bend the stems... You have to be careful, take some time to prepare the spot.. Choose a point a couple inches lower than you think you should (give yourself a bit of extra room!) and you can bend a strong stem.

To prepare the spot, pinch it with your fingers, and slowly wiggle it back and forth, in all directions... sorta loosen that baby up. As it gets more pliable, you can move it a little further. Pinch it a bit more, and soften that area up. Do this over the area of about an inch, to try and get a subtle bend. If it happens that the stem kinks, and the inner stem is exposed, don't sweat it. just tie down the top part of the plant, and mist the area with clean water a few times a day, for a few days. Or you can use a bit of saran wrap around the bent joint. do this for a a few days until you noticing it heal. Cannabis plants are very resilient, and can survive tremendous abuse.

Worst case scenario? Trim down that tallest kola, and the plant will redirect it's growing energy into the other buds.

11. I had my 600W MH and HPS at 10-12" away from the canopy . Yes , I had some slight "bleaching" and NO it did not affect smoke quality.

12. Similar thing,
    Mh was a little close so it turned the leaves pale,
    new growth is not affected.

I usually put my face at canopy level, if its a strangling heat that you cant breath in, then the plant sure is having one hell of a time.

13. how many weeks before the plants stop stretching? is there a certain time where they stop, or do they keep going?

14. [quote name='"dragonmantek"']how many weeks before the plants stop stretching? is there a certain time where they stop, or do they keep going?[/quote]

First 7 to 21 days depending on strain.

The very first time i grew out Cindy99 i had to bend the crap out of it. Final height after harvest, after i harvested was almost 7.5ft.
    My lights max height was 6'3"

I have since found a shorter growing pheno. :)

15. i can't post pictures, but my light burn resembles this.

[​IMG]

mine is more bleached out and the leaves are curled up and warped. it's just one top though, the 5 other tops are fine.

it's in 4th week of flowering though, it wouldn't be wise to cut it right?

16. Same thing happened with my Kali Mist! hahahaha I have cindy99 coming in the mail as we speak

---------- To the OP

about a week after flowering beings until a month after, your going to see lots and lots of growth. after that, they stop

17. [quote name='"MaineCronic"']

Same thing happened with my Kali Mist! hahahaha I have cindy99 coming in the mail as we speak[/quote]

LOL
    I like kmist. Good strain.
    My Cindy came from female seeds X-line. I bought 10 of them, after the first one was a favorite of my patient. It was a freebie. Then my new ones arrived and i got started.
    My germ ratio sucked, tho 3:10 :-\
    But i found a good one grows to about 5ft and gives me about 160grams dry.
    I am in search of some good Reg Cindy seeds, so i can find some good male pollen, now.