light cycle

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by smokesalot88, May 8, 2008.

1. i was wondering whenever you change the light cycle do you have to do it slowly or can you just go form 24/0 to 12/12. and also what comes after the vegatative state as af as the light cycle.

2. Yep you can just go from 24/0 or 18/6 to 12/12 for flowering. If you are using a HID(MH or HPS) light Id recommend 18/6 for vegging. 24 hours will create some huge plants and an even huger electric bill. If you are using those CFL's 24 hours is good.

If you got a ton of space and deep pockets you can run the HID light 24 hours if you like. And can go right to 12/12 for flowering. You dont need to gradually change the light cycle unless you plan on transplanting outdoors. I grow outdoors and start mine under a shoplight for seedlings and a 250w HPS for a little veg time, I use 15/9 right before I transplant. When they are sprouts 24 hours under a flourescent shoplight with 2 grow bulbs in it for about 10-14 days then under the HPS for 18/6 at first and I gradually bring it down to 15/9 before transplant. Indoor grows, you really dont need to do any of that though.

After Vegetation is flowering, nothing in between.

Happy Growing homey:)

3. big stinky glowerrs ur right under lol, hope u get it right my friend

4. i only that that ive been in veg for over a month, a little over. and ive beedoing 24/7. i just planted them into larger pots so should i let them vegatate for a bit longer. and my plants arent that big, i would have expected bigger by now.

5. another question, would it help, or hurt my plants if i were to spray any leaves that look to be dieing?

6. spraying dead leaves wont do anything man.

7. Spray your leaves with what? Plain water will only make them wet; however, dependind on what the leaves are deficient in, foilar feeding with a light nute mix containg the mineral that the plant is lacking can help it recover from the problem. August West is right about spraying dead leaves. It will help nothing and only foster mold growth. Cut the dead ones off and let the light in!

I have read that many growers are still vegging in 18/6 or even 16/8 periods. To those of you that do not already know this, photosynthesis occurs in two periods, photolysis (light period) and carbon dioxide fixation (dark period). During photolysis, H2O is spit into H+ and O-- ions and the Oxygen atoms bond together and release through the stomata of the leaves (Transpiration). During carbon dioxide fixation, CO2 plus the H+ ion left from photolysis rearrange and bond to yield C6H12O6 (Glucose) which converts to starches and moves to the meristematic tissue (growth points) of the plant. Both photolysis and carbon dioxide fixation occur during the photo period but only the latter occurs in the dark. Having said that, I would highly recommend giving plants a 24 hour photo period while vegging. This Will give you a potential of 33% higher growth rates.

If one grows with HID lighting, electricity bills are often an issue, but think of it this way: 1 Month 24/7=1 1/2 months 18/6. Same amount of electricity but in less time. Time=Money so 24/7 lighting is relatively less expensive than 18/6, especially if you use HID.

8. how would i go about that? never really herd of it.

9. Check out the sick plants and problems section and look around. There are a few guides regarding nutrient deficieancies or toxicities, pest problems, and diseases and virises that will give you the information that you need.

10. You have that shit on autodial, don't you!!:D

11. Don't see any reason to give the same question anything but the same answer. It's introductory stuff and just regurgitaion but nonetheless important. People should search around for answers to the questions they have because the same questions show up on new threads all the time.