light cycle cfl seedlings

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TATtheHOOD, Jan 3, 2013.

1. My seeds have finally germinated!!! They are bit feminized so I would like sex them ASAP. What is the best cycle for seedlings with CFL's?

2. *not feminized

3. Really??? No one???

4. With cfl I would run 24/0 or 20/4 for the first two to three weeks before flipping to 12/12.

5. Sweet. That will help show the sex quicker right? And I have a 400w metal halide bulb. Should I hook it up along with my CFLs?

6. [quote name='"TATtheHOOD"']Sweet. That will help show the sex quicker right? And I have a 400w metal halide bulb. Should I hook it up along with my CFLs?[/quote]

Not really quicker, no. Its a weird analogy, but think of your plants as if they were human. Like us they are born male or female. However, just because they have the needed parts to reproduce doesn't mean they can, they need to reach a certain age before they are capable of reproduction. Before that age, the plant cannot flower and all you will get is vegetative growth. There is a misconception that running 12/12 from seed sends a plant straight to flower. However, as mentioned the plant is physically incapable of flowering. Therefore changing your light cycle before the plant reaches maturity really does nothing but limit vegetative growth. So running a veg light cycle a week or two wont speed up or slow down how quick you can flower, only give you better growth beforehand. 12/12 from seed might be a better consideration if you want very small plants.

In interest of full disclosure, I think cfls suck for growing.

Personally I would chunk the cfls and use the 400w for veg as long as heat is under control. I veg with a 600w and cool tube and have no problems with light killing plants.