Light and Rain

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Green Ls, Jan 10, 2013.

1. I was wondering what would happen if light entered raindrops and didn't escape? Would there be bursts of light when the raindrop hit the ground? I asked this to my science teacher freshmen year and he never had an answer for it so I was wondering if anyone had an idea.

2. Probably didn't answer cause its a hypothetical, but if the rain drop manages to trap the light, the water will become illuminated. When it hits the ground, it'd more than likely stay trapped in the smaller drops of rain when it bursts apart. Or it could shoot out and alter the universe and make it possible to divide by zero. What answer do you want?

3. If it "trapped" light it would be black.

When it hit the ground it would splash into smaller black drops.

4. You may find some clues in the snowflake. :smoking:

Snowflakes are conglomerations of frozen ice crystals which fall through the Earth's atmosphere. They begin as snow crystals which develop when microscopic supercooled cloud droplets freeze. Snowflakes come in a variety of sizes and shapes. Complex shapes emerge as the flake moves through differing temperature and humidity regimes, such that individual snowflakes are nearly unique in structure. Snowflakes encapsulated in rime form balls known as graupel. Snowflakes appear white in color despite being made of clear ice. This is due to diffuse reflection of the whole spectrum of light by the small crystal facets.[1]