Life With a TBI: Please Don’t Think I’m a Flake!!

Discussion in 'General' started by Deleted member 881305, Mar 29, 2018.

1. I get lots of support on here and I'm quickly lost for words. Sometimes this feels overwhelming and I tend to escape off from this website. Don't worry, most messages I receive here are curteous and thoughtful. But there are others not so pretty...

I just want y'all hunnies to understand I'm NOT joking/or lying about my Traumatic Brain Injury that happened Feb. 4th, 2012. (6 years ago). It's hard to talk about too, even with my own doctor it's a struggle. How do I know how I'm feeling, when half the time I don't even know what I'm thinking?! lol!!

March is National Brain Injury Awareness month. I just hope to shine a light on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
  2. I suffer from a TBI also mine happened in combat when an explosion floored about ten of us.
    I now have Central Sleep Apnea from a blood vessel that was shifted and swollen in my cerebellum.
    It took me 13 years to just get treatment so I can relate to how hard it is, just remember it gets easier every day if you just place one foot forward!!! Good luck and feel free to message if you need someone to chat with about it, ever!!

• Like Like x 7
  3. Thanks honey, I appreciate you. <3

Your incident sounds intense and I'm so glad you are okay! And 13 years no treatment sounds impossible to handle!!! You are so strong

My TBI happened in a horrible car accident (I was turning out of a hotel parking lot onto a highway, an oncoming semi-truck hit me bloody sided.) I received 2 broken vertebrae (t1 & t9), fractured my left hip, and two hemorrhages to my brain with bleeding in the middle (it was that bad).

• Like Like x 4
  4. Add me to the list, even though I am one of the lucky ones!

When I was 3, another child attempted to murder me with a hammer. I still have several dents in my skull from the attack and my 2 scalp scars are being achy today.

I was very fortunate, my brain damage was/is quite mild. I believe that my migraines (that cannabis controls) are due to my head trauma. I think my brain works differently than your does (beyond the fact that I have a "killer" IQ).

I am perfectly lousy at recalling names and faces - it takes me about a month to really learn a person's name and face. (I compensate by treating everyone like an old friend I haven't seen for a while.) I get lost in cities very easily. Most other things, I remember just fine, even scientific studies.

The right side of my face feels like it is slightly "melted", like a candle left in the summer sun. But it looks normal, so I'm OK with it. :coolalt: There is a constant, light (and often annoying) pressure on my right eyeball. Optometrist says the real pressure is normal. There are other minor physical problems, but I've learned how to manage. I've gotten good at concealing my flaws.

There are a lot of people who have suffered a TBI. Some are lucky like me. Others, like Bougie and Grunt, suffer far more than me. And TBI can happen to anyone!

One happy note about TBI and cannabis. Cannabis users are more likely to survive a brain injury. In “Effect of Marijuana Use on Outcomes in Traumatic Brain Injury” (PubMed - 2014), it was found that “Overall mortality was 9.9 per cent, however, mortality in the THC(+) group (2.4%) was significantly decreased compared with the THC(-) group (11.5%)”.

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yip... I'be had my head banged a few times

I didn't mind the pain at all

what freaked me out was all that blood

peeps just starred too ...bummer peeps can be!

good luck to you all

• Like Like x 1
  6. party in Bethel

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. This.

I'm 20 or so years out from my accident, but I suffered a severe TBI gettin' hit by a car...Truth is you'll always have issues that no one around you will understand or at least you'll think as much, and there will be ways that you do things people will find foreign. These are lifelong issues, we can either wear them as an anchor...Or a badge of what we can survive.

Head up, one foot in front of the other...Keep moving.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Tbi checking in. Had two individuals split my skull open with a couple of Mag Lite 6D's after putting zip ties around my wrists. Had to get my sutures stapled back together. Memory's never been the same and neither has my sleep

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Happened to my sister...showing love

Sent from my SM-G903F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Sorry to hear about you guys injuries I hope you are all okay.

My Husbands mom has a serious Brain injury from a car accident...She almost didn't make it. It still affects her these days as well.

SMH that's so messed up. Did the cops catch who did it?

~Toni~

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bless your husbands mom honey ! i am so happy to hear she survived.

tbh the TBI after mine has such an affect on me still years later and there's days, most days, any task feels impossible. Like even today! I woke up at 6am and stayed in bed with a huge headache until 1:00pm and didn't even have breakfast bcos I felt just nauseous and in pain. It took me until then to have some coffee and then I remembered how I COULD just take some Tylenol, it'd help my headache... that's how I always am tho, "This hurts, but I can tough it out some more." lol! Oh and on the kitchen counter i saw my pill box. I had forgotten to take my morning medication again!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1

12. Lol Thanks girl. I am too lol she is cool an she smokes weed too :)

I hope you are doing okay as well.

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks for sharing Bougie, hope you’re feeling okay today!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. I rarely take meds for headaches anymore. Most headache medicine is made up of caffeine. My DR told me along time ago to take an Aleve and pound a caffeinated soda. It really does work if nothing else does.

• Informative Informative x 1