Life, the Universe, and Everything.

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Velocirapture, Oct 29, 2011.

1. This is has been done a million times I'm sure, but I'm interested in what others think.

What do you think the meaning of life is?
    Do you think that is a subjective or objective meaning?

2. "Life is beyond meaning, that`s why it`s so beatifull" - Sadhguru

3. I think life is meaningless. I just would like to hear what others think. :smoke:

4. I believe you choose your own meaning of life (but I believe life is meaningless in the first place) and that's why its subjective.

Just curious: whats yours?

5. I think we're just highly evolved hydrogen. :)

6. #6 Perpetual Burn, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2011
    The answer to Life, the Universe and everything is...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aboZctrHfK8[/ame]

7. I believe you can set your own meaning, but I personally don't assign any definition to my life. I just live it. I see life as a wonderful adventure, and hope to keep it going as long as I can, and when I die it will have been a hell of a ride. So I guess I'm a positive nihilist.

8. life is pointless, but whats wrong with that? i dont see any meaning to life, just enjoy yourself until your inevitable death. err i believe in immortality with the help of technology, but in our lifetime? doubtful.

9. for anything that can exercise a choice, life is never pointless. for those that can, the point is always changing.

10. I never really thought about it that way. I like that.

11. Think about hw big the universe is. If you don't know how big it is don't worry, no one does really. It's unimaginably large. SO large that we are not even specks of dust, not even molecules, not even anything at all in comparison.

We may be 1 of only a handful of sentient life forms in the entire universe, which could mean that because we are so small we are actually very important, and rare. It's like we don't matter because we are so insignificant but because of that fact we ARE important, in some meaningless way. It sounds weird but hey, everything is fucking insane if you think about it.

I feel like such a fool sometimes.

12. Life is pointless for the lazy, an adventure for the adventurous, open ended for the outgoing, a blank canvas for the artist, a puzzle for the scientist, clay for the leader, grazing grounds for the flock, limbo for the religious, a quest for the romantic, and the longest thing you will ever experience.

13. to experience.

it is what you make it.

14. take the opportunity to learn about God.The force behind this life.His energies sustain us and without Air, water and light we are in bad shape

15. and then don't stop learning

16. life advances into its own meaning, the experience of its own existence.

17. Contemplating our own existence is such a tease. the fact is that there is no meaning to life, and that trying to substantiate one is just what we do as humans. i suppose the magic trick is becoming comfortable with ones null status in the universe

18. You can't say there is no meaning anymore than I can say there is...I saw the meaning in the akashic records but I don't remember it...sorry

19. #19 Dryice, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2011
    I believe that there isn't any inherent/intrinsic meaning in life. People will add those if they need too, I really don't need to. I'm okay with living a pointless life, I suppose.

One of my favorite philosophies is Absurdism - check it out if you've not heard of it.