life on other planets

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Sour desel, Nov 20, 2011.

1. So let's say there is a .000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent chance of life being on another planet...

Simple logic.

.000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of ∞ = ∞?

A infinite chance of there being life on other planets.

2. we, humans arent super smart. we think we know it all but we dont. there might be a chance for life somwhere but they're probably nothing like earthlings. They might be smarter than us of they could be like idiots. we can say for sure until we have the technology to seach deep space in a timely manner. But IMO its not likely in my future. sorry guys but we will never meet other life forms as smart as us for now.

3. Yeah we're still primates grasping at straws but the only way to advance is to continue to concern ourselves with the future. We would never have inventions such as the helicopter if it had not been envisioned far before its creation by persons such as Galileo.

4. We'll almost certainly never encounter other intelligent life (or even life in general for that matter), the technology required to reach speeds which would bring us to interstellar travel will be extremely difficult to grasp.

But with the exponential increase of technology, you can never be POSITIVE.

In regards to whether or not we actually will acquire that sort of technology, and engage with other life, look up Ray Kurzweil. Best source for an answer to that question on the planet.

5. I think there could be life in our solar system...

Titan has an atmosphere and liquid lakes of methane. It also rains methane, so methane is like Titans's water. Some single-cellular life might be able to develop there. Life could also live in the caves of Mars like the organisms that live in caves on Earth. Snottite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also life could live under the surface of Europa, which is believed to have liquid water under the surface. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)

We just need the technology(and to stop looking for life forms like us) to be able to get into these places and I think we might find something amzing....

6. "Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in this universe or we are not. Each is equally terrifying."
    -Arthur C. Clarke

Get high and think that one over.

7. in my lifetime. im hoping i can even go to space someday. even to the moon. that would be amazing

discovering life in my life would be like :eek:

8. Life on other planets... Maybe. A new home? Fuck yes:
    MLive.com: Ann Arbor : NASA says new planet discovery 'a major milestone on the road to finding Earth's twin'

Say in 100 years we could colonize this planet. Think of the possibilities. This planet is 2.4 times the size of earth. It could hold "2.4" times the population. 2.4*7*10^9= 16.8 billion people. 16.8 billion + 7 billion =~ 24 billion. Think how far our race can expand in knowledge and understanding if we have 24 billion people thinking.

That is centuries, maybe millenniums away but still. I like the thought of it.

9. [quote name='"ThatCaliSun"']Although the universe is infinte....the odds are like .0000000000000000000000000000001 of there being life on another planet. It's because everything has to be PERFECT for there to be life(enough distance from a star, planet has to be perfect size for liveable gravity, etc) It's insane that we are here to being with.[/quote]

For earth... All life on earth is carbon based but what if instead of carbon their are places where life is based off of other elements... Like silicon plastic life anyone?

10. Haha so earth in about 500 years,

11. [quote name='"REIS"']

Haha so earth in about 500 years,[/quote]

Lol ya we love the plastic...create some plastic animals and farm em for their plastic

12. haha, righteous! humanity would get a boner over that concept.

13. I think it's possible, but if there is then I think it would probsbly be a single cell organism or something similar, maybe even an animal like creature.

14. Clarke's Three Laws are three "laws" of prediction formulated by the British writer and scientist Arthur C. Clarke. They are:

1.When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

2.The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3.Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

15. Get this kids.

Scientists say there are more than 300 Sextillion stars in the universe. That's a shit ton of stars.

And following ALMOST EVERY single one of those fucking stars, are planets. Could be one, could be 30 of them. Say theres 6 planets following each of those stars.

6 x 300 sextillion= 1800 sextillion, I think it goes into the septillions but I can't remember, some one help me on this.

but if the odds of life are like ".000000000000001" the universe has over 1800 sextillion times to get it right. there's life out there.

16. [quote name='"RyanPwnsU"']Get this kids.

Scientists say there are more than 300 Sextillion stars in the universe. That's a shit ton of stars.

And following ALMOST EVERY single one of those fucking stars, are planets. Could be one, could be 30 of them. Say theres 6 planets following each of those stars.

6 x 300 sextillion= 1800 sextillion, I think it goes into the septillions but I can't remember, some one help me on this.

but if the odds of life are like ".000000000000001" the universe has over 1800 sextillion times to get it right. there's life out there.[/quote]

Ya theres definitely other life. We are proof of it. I think people underestimate the sheer power of life and how it survives then thrives in most situations as it adapts and finds ways to improve... I think life in the universe is abundant but intelligent life are the rare gems too find.

17. Well the laws of physics only allow so many elements.. once you get too many electrons circling an atom there becomes a certain point where the strong nuclear force can no longer hold any more electrons and makes the element unstable.

And to say that we can call it 'fact' that there's more life out there couldn't be farther from the truth.. we don't even know how life first came to be.. we have ideas and theories but they've been far from proven. I'm not saying it's impossible, but to call it fact would be a lie..

How do we know the results of what we get hasn't been interfered with light from any other stars? ..Unless they're relatively close, but even still that's a vast amount of space to get interference from neighboring stars..

Like say just for example maybe the reason we see hydrogen everywhere is because our solar system is surrounded by a giant bubble of it, it doesn't necessarily mean it's found everywhere in the universe, it just appears to from our perspective.

18. That teacher sounds like an idiot. Although one can happily claim there is only life on Earth they are probably silly. If we are here chances are other forms of life are out there as well. Hopefully we shall find some soon.

19. Once they get below the surface of Europa I reckon there'll be all sorts of weird critter shiznit under there. :hello: Well bacteria anyway. :eek: But life is life is life. :D