Life on other planets. Whats your opinion?

Discussion in 'General' started by PurpleOnyx, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Saying that we are the only life out there is arrogant and blatantly ignorant. By math and probability alone there is something out there. There may not be greys or jabba da hut but i'm certain there is life forms out there. Hell it's even possible there are non carbon based life forms i mean it is possible in science.

2. [quote name='"Easy Going"']

What ifs and what ifs. It seems like you try to find any reason to justify your reasoning in denying God.[/quote]

Kind of like your "what if god is real" scenario?

3. [quote name='"Zr-01stamg"']Saying that we are the only life out there is arrogant and blatantly ignorant. By math and probability alone there is something out there. There may not be greys or jabba da hut but i'm certain there is life forms out there. Hell it's even possible there are non carbon based life forms i mean it is possible in science.[/quote]

Yea i find it amazing how there are actually still people that think we are the only ones in the universe. That's just fucking retarded.

4. ^ idk i find it to be extremely arrogant on our part to think we are the one and only miracle in the universe. Humans ftw

5. Earth is just a reality tv show and the person in charge of the show is a taco that poops ice cream.

6. 1st of all there is most likely life elsewhere. Universe is to damn big for there not to be but traveling from their planet to ours is just impossible. Unless wormholes are used. Now other dimensions with intelegent life visiting us is more likely than creatures from other planets imo

7. [quote name='"Easy Going"']Doubt it.

God made us to enjoy Earth. Not to wonder if there is magical creatures in other planets with "life".[/quote]

Hope your joking... If not this is the reason religion promotes ignorance and prevents the development of human knowledge.

8. [quote name='"Purp Skurp"']Of course there is life on other planets, even if it is just bacteria, earth in the universe is like a grain of sand in the middle of football field.[/quote]

More like a grain of sand in an ocean thats constantly expanding,
    So yea OP its almost guaranteed their is some form of life somewhere

9. I believe that there are other life forms out there. I'm not that educated when it comes to science and space but with how large the universe is it seems unlikely that Earth is the only life-bearing planet.

[quote name='"Easy Going"']Doubt it.

God made us to enjoy Earth. Not to wonder if there is magical creatures in other planets with "life".[/quote]

I find it ironic that you dismiss the idea of magical creatures elsewhere in the universe BECAUSE you believe in God. Isn't "God" (basically) a magical creature that "lives" in heaven?

Also I find it a little bit narcissistic to believe that Earth and it's inhabitants were all created for human enjoyment. Does that mean that you also believe only humans are accepted into heaven? If so, what happens to all of the dead animals and insects, simply nothing? And if you believe they are allowed in heaven, does that not make us of equal importance?

10. I love how I knew there would be a religious debate before I clicked this thread aha

11. Other life probs has something that is akin to weed that i want to try

12. [quote name='"Blaze"']I love how I knew there would be a religious debate before I clicked this thread aha[/quote]

Its not even a religious debate its just a bunch of people freaking out on that one guy cause he said something stupid. lol

13. [quote name='"cranegame"']I believe that there are other life forms out there. I'm not that educated when it comes to science and space but with how large the universe is it seems unlikely that Earth is the only life-bearing planet.

I find it ironic that you dismiss the idea of magical creatures elsewhere in the universe BECAUSE you believe in God. Isn't "God" (basically) a magical creature that "lives" in heaven?

Also I find it a little bit narcissistic to believe that Earth and it's inhabitants were all created for human enjoyment. Does that mean that you also believe only humans are accepted into heaven? If so, what happens to all of the dead animals and insects, simply nothing? And if you believe they are allowed in heaven, does that not make us of equal importance?[/quote]

Their energy will transform onto something else. What do you think will happen? God will judge the fly and ask him what he did in his 24 hours of life to let him go into heaven?

14. I think so... take a look at the Kepler planets or Gliese 581 g... they are all very similar to earth. Its too bad they are so far away. I wish we had the technology to fully scope in on these planets.

15. Live in the moment! Im happy as fuuck!

16. [quote name='"King_Willie"']It aint a necessity, but it's a big fuckin probability haha.[/quote]

but thats just it..the probability is technically very low because in the entire vast universe weve never found a single shred of evidence of other life.

it just so happens that we havent looked in 99.9% of the universe yet either..

17. So your telling me.... its more likely that some mythical man in the sky made us then it is we came here via micro organisms that have evolved over trillions and trillions of years. We are ONE planet in space out of BILLIONS and possibly even trillions.

18. I'm pretty sure he's trolling..

19. #59 Senior PoopiePants, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
    As I was typing that long post up there, I realized something when I said that planets "grow life".

It appears to me and scientists that a living organism is just a machine. It follows commands but has this prime directive (first command). That command is to survive - no matter what. Anyway.

Yeah, and then you have us, which is a machine, but not just any. We are sentient. We are self aware. We are light years smarter than any other creature on the planet.

Regardless, it is basically proven that all a personality is is a unique set of chemicals and circumstances (how a person was brought up, belief systems, etc). So there very well may NOT be a soul. What we think of as a soul is probably just our sentience trying to justify our sentience, if that makes sense.

I also thought about it when I was watching the new Total Recall. (Spoiler - well, not really - it's in the trailer). When Quaid is being sweet-talked by the guy at Rekal (John Cho), Quaid asks if it feels like real life. John Cho's character says something like, "What is life - but our brain's chemical perception of it? Your eyes see, your brain chemistry reacts. Here we just remove the middle man and just go straight to the chemistry. Does that make it any less real?". Quaid says, "An illusion no matter how convincing is still just an illusion.". John Cho says, "Heh, that's very good. You're right - OBJECTIVELY, but from the inside - subjectively - I assure you it's the opposite entirely...".

And he's right. What is life? Just an organism's sentient perception? :eek:

Great great great movie, by the way. I am a die hard fan of the original (I was 10 when it came out and that's what got me so interested in Mars), and when I heard they took Mars out of the movie, I was pissed. But when I saw it, I couldn't believe it. It was amazing.

They made up for the "no Mars".

Anyways, so yeah, aren't we just robots that became self aware? And how did that happen? THAT'S something I will never get. Maybe if there were a few more million years in between the mix somewhere in our evolution I wouldn't question it, but there are some curious questions: Before we obtained our intelligent and sentience, with no defenses (we have hands and feet and no protection - we are animals of prey without our intelligence), how did we get this far? I really feel sometimes that we WERE found and given a boost. We needed intelligence to be the top species, but how did we get there? We should have been rubbed out, being that acquiring intelligence takes time and there were most definitely many creatures that could have made us extinct. But no - we made it. Then the intelligence came. How? How did we get "activated"? Shit, man.

I believe in evolution and all of that, don't get me wrong. But our intelligence level and our physical capabilities compared to other animals is huge. The gap is TOO huge and the time it took was too quick.

That's why I love the idea of Ancient Aliens (not the stupid show, all mixed up with good and stupid info). But until there is iron clad proof, I'll just remain agnostic on it with a lean towards it. :)

20. i want an alien chick to blow my dick...
    [​IMG]