Life is pointless

Discussion in 'General' started by 20000678, Apr 24, 2010.

1. I've talked to alot of people about this but now I just want to see if others have the same thoughts. I used to be really christian, then I went through some very traumatic experiences in which I lost my faith. Now, I have OCD not just organizing colors, but constant thoughts about death, the afterlife, purpose, regrets about life and what I've done, what I didn't do, haunt me. I fret so much about these issues. OCD isn't something crazy poeple have, it's a real problem, and the fear is the most intense fear and can't be curtailed by logic. If there's anybody out there who is tormented by OCD and it's effect on life please say something, sometimes pills and therapy aren't enough and you just need to know that there are other people out there who have to live with this. If there is anyone with this condition, how do you control it, how do you function when the thoughts come back.

2. Ay man, I recommend seeing a doctor, for real.

I have OCD I'm pretty sure, but maybe you gotta keep busy to get your mind off these sorts of things.

People live, people die. People set goals along the paths of their life to work towards something - anything. To at least give some form of "purpose" to their lives, or then it would truly be pointless.

Maybe life does not have a point. Tell me, what grand scheme or purpose does this "God" have for us? What can we actually do to give meaning to our lives either than what we're already doing? It's a constant flow, and you must go with it.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk; I don't know how much help I'll be, but the offer is there.

3. #3 sheababy, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
    i don't have OCD, but i just want you to know there IS therapy to help you get over your ocd! you could probably easily locate some by google or calling your family doctor, or even going to a walk in clinic and asking for help.
    remember that you have this disorder thats making you think this way, life isn't pointless.
    it's beautiful, even through all the horrible things that can happen. i'm somewhat christian, i more or less have a set of my own beliefs, but seriously just hold on, and i hope you can see the beauty in life through all the pain! stay strong!

edit: i've been through ALOT in my life, so i can relate when you say you feel that way,for the longest time i just wanted to die, things eventually changed but i can in the tiniest bit relate.

4. First of all, I should say that I don't have OCD, and I feel for you. I really do. I hope that someone here or elsewhere can help you, because life is a gift that you should not feel is pointless.

I was curious (since you're here), do you find that smoking weed helps with these issues at all?

I'm not sure if there is any proof that MJ helps with OCD issues or not, but someone posted a very informative post not too long ago with a list of specific strains that are known to help certain conditions, diseases, or disorders. Seems to be mixed views on this (short term vs. long term), but I'm wondering if a specific strain might help you more?

Good luck my friend.

5. Life is pointless. Why is that a bad thing?

Fuck regrets. The past is pointless too. Do what you enjoy, when you can, and that's it.

Think positive about these things. You don't know anything, just like all people don't know anything, so if you're feeling negative from these concepts, it's because you're only seeing the negative. Think about the potential positives of death, the afterlife, purpose... or just sit back and enjoy the ride.

6. I have OCD.along with other thing. I have such thoughts as what is the purpose of anything. I probably spend most of my days thinking about life theories and about how the phenomenon of life is in fact pointless. Being pointless does not mean it is not amazing. Sadly I agree with pills as they are ineffective with those thoughts aswell as the therapist that I have seen can not fully understand the complexity of this view on life. So I can only do one thing, live. I used to get freaked out about this thoughts, but seeing as they are here to stay I have decided to embrace them.

7. God is dead.

Create your own purpose

-Nietzsche

Live the way you want man. Look forward to the unraveling of the future. You don't want to miss that.

• Like Like x 1

8. Fuck pills. Learn to think positive. It's hard, but completely doable.

9. I don't have OCD but I have had a lot of experience with depression and anxiety. I have been to different therapists and been on and off different antidepressants over the years and I have found that the best treatment for me is Ms. Mary Jane. :smoking:

The problem is since you are already on this forum I'm assuming you already have experience with weed and it doesn't seem to help.

This may seem unconventional but if the bulk of your worries consist of questions about death, the nature of life, and related topics, how about trying to read some philosophy? Maybe some fresh viewpoints would help you clear your head a bit. Obviously not as any sort of primary treatment but just something to try on the side.

10. I never understood this disposition. You've become enlightened enough to recognize that you, as a man, as a being, are completely and utterly irrelevant, but haven't figured why that's beautiful.

Think about it: How selfish can you be? You require some divine purpose, with a carrot-stick reward system that allows you to play Yahtzee with grandma on a fucking cloud forever and ever?

I take immense comfort in the fact that regardless of if I fuck up or do great, it just doesn't fucking matter. Physicists and a few others are the only people who actually matter in any meaningful sense. The rest of us are just passing by.

Have some fun, and don't rape or kill anyone. Unless you're really horny and she's asking for it, or they deserve to die. Then you can rape and/or kill. But generally, avoid this.

11. If you quit weed cold turkey you could feel anxiety, depression. But If you smoke it, for me at least it goes away, life seems so much better, I can think about other things. Don't know what strains do, but every puff is like reflief. I've never had an OCD episode while on weed.

12. The problem there is when I did believe in god, the only thing I obsessed about then was pleasing god, I FEARED god. I didn't want to go to hell, I didn't want to displease out of fear of eternal torture.

This isn't a wish for there to be a god, for there to be a purpose. It's the search for control over the thoughts that have controled me for so long that I seek. I feel alot better knowing that there are people out there who live with this and with therapy and medication are able to live normal lives. But pills and therapy only go so far. When the pills stop working, what is a man to do?

I will say one thing about why I smoke weed. I get high, relaxed, mellow, and all the repetitve thoughts are gone.

13. there is no meaning to life other than to add to it, procreate, survive and thrive.

our species is no different from birds, bears, lions or fish. everything is chaos and we were evolved from our ancestors who evolved from theres and so on. it is all complete chaos and luck, dont expect pearly gates when you die, you just get buried in the ground.

not to squash beliefs of anyone, these are just mine.

14. If you wake up everyday saying "Life is Pointless" you will very soon believe it. I wake up every morning and say Im Awesome. And guess what I fucking am :cool:.

You just gotta find a purpose in life. Get friends, girlfriend, a job that you enjoy and soon enough life wont look so bleak and this is coming from a heroin addict so I know what its like to be in the dumps my dude.

15. Beat me to it.

Also, nihilism.

16. i wouldnt say i had ocd exactly or anything but i do have random times i cry and get depressed and ive noticed getting closer to my family helped alot cuz it made me happy getting close to them never really had that. but i still do it sometimes:cool:, and smokin bud does help me alot with it:rolleyes:. good luck OP

17. I don't have OCD, but my wife doe's. I know how tortured your soul can become. You really should seek treatment, and MJ is one of the best. It helps my wife relax enough to stop counting and cataloging for awhile anyways.

Best of luck in your quest for inner peace:)