Life has no Meaning, but there is Meaning in Life

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by ganjaJeff, May 17, 2015.

1. Title. 
    Life has no meaning. As a whole, life just exists. But there is meaning within life. 

THoughts?

2. Life creates its own meaning

-yuri

3. #3 pickledpie, May 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2015
    What's the difference between life and death? Where does life end and death begin? If life has a meaning, does death have a meaning? Can a meaning exist if we remove the subject? The objective world is an endless river rolling over the edge of a precipice, that precipice at every moment is the reality now. The flow of water doesn't stop. Just because the water took one path in one moment and changed to another in the next doesn't mean that one path is more important than another, one way of tumbling into the abyss any more profound or true. This mind itself is the meaning, the subtle luminosity of awareness that is the essence and fabric of reality. The reality is just an image, a mirage. A temporary illusion. True is the timeless. True is the essence that defies all description as it exists as the reality behind the reality that is seen. Even to say it exists is to label it by what it itself has brought forth. It is the unborn and the timeless.

Humans are arrogant. There is no meaning. Everything we feel are just chemicals flowing through a very flawed organ, the brian.

5. The idea of it being flawed is also rooted in arrogance.

You're right. "It just is."

Any perception or interpretation is just that... a perception or interpretation. You can choose to see through that, or choose to experience life for what it is.

The world isn't held together by human thought or the need to find meaning in everything. :)

Are you saying the human brain is flawless, or just tht the belief in flaws is arrogant

8. Sounds contradictory. If you find meaning in life than wouldn't that be the meaning of life?

Sent from my U670C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Flaws don't exist outside the human experience of them. It's us labelling and defining the world. Truly, the world is flawless.

Oh you're half full, grass is greener on this side, always be positive type of dude. me opposite.

I see flaws everywhere. Our brains don't all come with default settings. Every person is different and those differences are mostly random, some good some bad.

Also our brains work for as long as we're young and strong enough to make kids, after tht it's just down hill, body and mind. so we only exist for the longevity of our species. But even there you find flaws. A lot of people can't reproduce, simple as that. You're appendix is useless and  can kill you, that's another flaw.

11. Why be so attached to the conditioned? That's not our true nature. Our true nature shines unblemished and unconditioned and is essentially timeless awareness. Nothing ever dies, nothing is born. This world is a state of flux and from a relative point of view it might seem like one state is better than another, in reality all states are undifferentiated once the subject is removed. Your true face isn't the one you see in the mirror every morning, whatever doesn't last isn't you. Truly if you can define yourself within this world, it is only an illusion.

That's first world talk right there. For the majority of the world is not about luxury and philosophy but survival. In fact we're designed to survive, a perfect mind doesn't increase your chances of surviving.

It's not tht I'm a negative person, but seeing the world for what it is in its naked state brings me comfort. The idea of perfection, meaning, love, ambition etc it's all a never ending story but we do end. Looking at it as an illusion or a stage blurs ones perception of reality imo.

We die and the only thing we'll have left behind us is our DNA but eventually even that will most likely cease to exist. Life is a stubborn force that exists for itself.

13. Exactly. From an object standpoint life is just another thing; there is no meaning. But from a subjective standpoint, there is meaning, there are joys and sorrows and ambitions and fears. Such is the paradox of life

14. If you look at life from the outside in, there is no meaning. We are born, we eat, drink, shit, sleep, grow and eventually die. If you look from the inside out, there is meaning. Experience, making friends, laughing, getting a girlfriend, playing sports etc. 

15. I agree, Life does not mean anything. Words mean something, because they refer to something else. But Life as a whole doesn't mean anything, which is only to say that Life doesn't refer to anything else the way a symbol does.

What is meaning? Meaning is a thing that came from life, how can we apply something to the thing it emerged from?

17. #17 TrthPeceLuvMusc, May 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
    Is it safe to say the meaning of life is to create/change? In it's simplest form. No meaning behind as to why it is creating/changing, that's not the point. Even if you look at the universe outside in or inside out one thing is constant and that is creation/change. With that being said, from that concept our relative and or subjective viewpoints may then be (get this) created..hence we've created a meaning to life whilst life has a meaning?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. Meaning has 2 connotations to me.

The first is a symbol. Words act as symbols, and symbols point at things in a referential way. The noise "cup" refers to the thing I have in my hand.

The second is purpose served. The keyboard "means" that I have the ability to communicate online. That's the purpose it serves.

We can really find the "meaning" of anything in Life by using the second connotation to find what purpose it has served, but only in context. When you look at Life as a whole, it is ALL contexts simultaneously. When we think of it in terms of the first connotation we come to the conclusion that Life cannot reference anything else, because it is all that there is.

19. Life doesn't have a meaning in terms of having an established "to do" list or behavior.   There is no procedure you have to complete, no one way you have to be,  no blueprint you have to follow.   

Life does have an infinite amount of meanings in terms of meaningful things you can do for no other reason but your own sake.

Nihilism is seen as depressing by most, but it is actually quite uplifting to me for that precise reason.  It is a blank slate, a playground for me to create my own life and reality.   There is nothing preventing me from removing all the bad and adding all the good.   Nihilism essentially means you get to infinitely "trick out"  your life. 

20. You are making an objective statement of subjective nature. Saying the appendix 'ought' to be, and since it isnt as you prescribe it 'ought' to be, you say its a flaw.

Btw I dont know how well this is supported but ive heard the appendix is a supposetory for probiotics. Ive also heard taking antibiotics even once destroys this... idk if that is true or not either.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/10/071008102334.htm