Life for Liberty or Liberty for Life

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by H2O420, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Would you rather give up your liberties so others could live, or give up your life for other's liberties?

2. Been readin 1984?

Have you heard of the saying, I'd rather die on my feet than to live on my knees.? Well theres my response.

3. Nope, I'm just curious if people take idealism into account more than actuality relative to their basis for what is logical. :smoke:

4. Neither of them are preferable, but if I give up my life, I wouldn't have to live as a slave. So the second one.

5. I would give my life so others could live better then how we were before. If your not proud of your life then what's the point of living?

6. i feel that each one of us (at least the majority) who answered with the second option are nothing but goddamn hypocrites (myself included)

the options you present us with H2O are not part of some distant and glorious decision we will be faced with... the decision, camouflaged though it is, is presented to us every day

every day of our lives we kneel to a system that operates by depriving other less fortunate souls of their liberties, and we kneel in fear for our own

we entertain the pathetic notion that we will one day stand tall and preserve liberty, that we will save the world! well.... can i ask when exactly that will be?... the answer of course is "later". and so the world turns while we buy our time and try hard to believe our perceptions for the sake of our mental health... it is all really rather pathetic... i suspect that tyler, if he existed, would be very, very disappointed

this is no longer the land of the free, and the bravery that is left is nowadays blind and misguided. in fact it is used by and for the system.

where are our martyrs? where are our leaders, the peoples leaders? are we reduced to a nation of strong cowards? powerful beasts of burden? well at the moment yes, yes we are.

we may have all the talent and strength in the world but if we cannot steer the ship we are moving, if we cannot break the yoke and plow the field for ourselves then ultimately our force has little to no effect on the fate of the vessel or the reaping of the harvest...our force is an item, a quantifiable item of quantifiable value fought for by men of power seeking yet more power.... and lets not sugar coat it. that power today. right now. is firmly in the hands of the most conniving and selfish citizens in the country.

im not being pessimistic either, im just not being patriotic... you can call it being impartial;)

7. Personally or societally?

If I give up my liberties so others can live, then they live and I might someday get my liberties back. But do any of us truly live without liberty?

If society gives them up then who will be left? We are society after all and couldn't exist as such without them. It doesn't mean we need all of them though so which ones can we get rid of? (Perhaps it might be better to say which of those we have left ;))

On the other hand. If I give up my life for your liberties, who's to say you still don't lose them later? As all of us are society, don't we simply end up with the laws and liberties we deserve? After all we make them/accept them don't we?

8. Sure, I'll traded a few petty 'liberties'.

9. Unless it was my family, I would not give up anything for anybody.

10. Ive been holding my tongue on many topics lately, trying not to be disrespectful, but I cant on this one.

Anyone who picked the first is a full-fledged retard who either needs to be neutered or executed. Preferably executed so that you cant spew that fucking garbage to anyone else.

If you dont want liberties, you dont deserve them. If you give up your liberties, you also give up your rights, and your right to life included.

11. I would say the same of any fanatic who would willingly give their life or take another's in the name of a trivial subjective concept.

12. #12 PhillGates, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011
    I guess.

Maybe some people aren't that selfish.

For as long as I've been employed I always kept in mind that the shedding's of my liberties could've went to aid some poor sap's food stamps, but I was okay with that because, as a result, in no way was my life threatened.

13. I picked the second one because I'm that much of a stubborn asshole but I think in the North American context, 'liberties' is a word only meant to stroke our vain egos and compared to other countries we're extremely spoiled with autonomies.

14. Your sig, the first three lines is from the book 1984, which was seen as a lie, the fourth part wasn't part of that. Which I see as true.

But what you say is interesting...In acutality people are naturally trading in their liberty for 'life', but people here ideally would say they would trade life for liberty. But who knows whether these people would or not. I can't judge it, I have no knowledge of these people. I can't empathize enough to say. It is up to them whether or not to say what is true to them.

Me, naturally, I would give my liberty for life, but I can force myself, to abide by the motto I stated before, and give my life for liberty, at least for others. so it depends on how much of an impact my life will have.

15. Depends on your definition of a trivial concept.

16. Corporate greed and politics.