Libya: Big Mistake Obama.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by StayHighAllDay, Apr 5, 2011.

1. First of all, why this? Obama said . “Left unchecked,” he said, “we have every reason to believe that Gaddafi would commit atrocities against his people. Many thousands could die.” Every year, one million people die from malaria. About three million children die, either indirectly or directly, from hunger. There are simply better things we can spend, or not spend, on our money. This country is suffering from a serious spending/debt problem anyways.

link

We have little to zero interest in libya. Why are we going against our interests only to help the same terrorists we've been fighting for onward 10 years? U.S. interests in Libya are decidedly less than vital. Libya is in possession of roughly 2% of the world's oil production. Also, this isn't, by the book, only a humanitarian mission but a decision to participate in Libya's civil war.

link

“No foreign states have vital interests at stake in Libya. Events in this rather odd and isolated land have little bearing on the rest of the tumultuous Mideast region. Also not to be dismissed, there are far, far worse humanitarian horrors elsewhere. Yet, U.S. neoconservatives and liberal humanitarian interventionists have trapped another U.S. president into acting as if the opposite were true.”

Click Here

At what cost are we going to go forth with this mission?

Again, the fact is our resources are limited. We simply cannot afford to help every human being on earth. Aside from financially, this intervention could have devastating consequences.

link

link 2

We don't even know exactly who we're helping, do we?

link

What happens next? Too often we fail to ask this question and problems occur. Nobody asked what happens in Iraq, hundreds of billions down the drain and hundreds of thousands of lives lost. Nobody asked what happens in Afghanistan, again, billions wasted and many lives lost. We need to end this cycle of war. I hate to be one of those guys who accuses America of imperialism, but what would you call it?

link

2. ^^ dude don't worry..

we are simply enforcing a no fly zone.. this will be over within days, not weeks.
    It's not like we have Bush the crazy neocon warmonger as the president.. so no worries man.

3. [​IMG]

4. Meanwhile, marines are headed to the coast of Libya for year long deployment....Likely, only to be replaced by another brigade of Marines for yet 1 more year deployment..

When does it end?

5. It ends when the no fly zone is lifted!

6. Have we actually decided on deploying marine forces in Libya?

7. Libya has a very powerful air force.. this may take a while.

8. negative

9. How can you not think that going into Libya was the right thing to do? No troops on the ground and it''s just enforcing a no fly zone, something which isn't too difficult.
    And Ghadafi would have commited genocide in Benghazi had the west not gone in to help, he even said he would himself, and the developed world has a duty to protect those unable to defend themselves. I think a relatively minor economic cost for the coalition country's far outweighed the human tragedy which would have ensued.

10. gates has said:

no, no, no, no, no, no, no and no.

which is code for soon (TM)

:laughing:

11. how big of an airforce does Libya have, that we need all of these cruise missiles and whatnot to enforce a no fly zone?
    and haven't we weakened them enough already?

12. Their airforce is a tiny drop in the ocean compared to the resources the West and NATO has at its disposal, i'm sure Britain, France, Canada and the USA could destroy it totally with little or no problems if they really were willing to devote the resources within the space of a few days or a week.
    And apparently not, the rebels have been pushed back all the way to Adjabiya(?) haven't they? And 'weakening them enough' surely should encompass removing the ability of the Ghadafi forces to beat back the rebels and commit the genocide Ghadafi promised

13. Who told you that?

14. Did you not see his speech when his troops were surrounding Benghazi a day or two before the coalition went in?
    He literally said 'We will go door to door and slaughter all the traitors!', which essentially meant the entire city...

15. I don't like Obama but this was all Hillary Clinton. People seem to forget she's Secretary of Defense

[​IMG]

16. And he could have said. No bitch, you are crazy just like your war criminal husband and that old ass John McCain.

17. Secretary of State.

He's our secretary of defense

[​IMG]

18. Oh wow. And here I just thought we were helping Libya because they have oil. Silly me, when has the US not helped prevent genocide? I'm sure we help non oil producing countries too! Lol

19. What's funny, is that if we were facing an oil crisis, you'd be begging our leaders to get some oil by any means necessary. Yet while you're able to gas up at $4-$5 a gallon, it's greed that motivates our leaders.

As soon as you all sell your automobiles and start walking or galloping to work on a horse, then you can complain when our country seeks to secure oil.

20. Yeah, how did that work out in Iraq?