liberalism and the catholic church

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by la vie demain, Apr 9, 2008.

1. hey guys whats up. i have a question that i need help with answering because i have no opinion yet on the topic. I got the question from my professeur and i need an intelligent answer so any help will do :hello:

Ultramontanists were criticized for dividing the Church around the issue of Liberalism. Do you agree or disagree with the Ultramontanist perspective regarding liberal governments and Catholicism? Why? Are liberalism and Catholicism incompatible? Why or why not? If not, what would make them compatible? If so, what loyalty should Catholics hold more important, to the Church or State? Why?

thanks in advance for any help length dosent matter

:D

2. I think you're going to have to enlighten us on what you're talking about. I personally have no background in Ultramontanist history or perspectives on liberalism and the Catholic church.

3. why dont you look it up yourself?

you always give vague half ass answers to questions and create threads with ambiguous questions only to give your perspective/evidence later on in the same thread...but thats beside the point.

to the op, i think the main point would just be because the catholic church is universally recognized as a very very conservative institution.

however, the "separation" seemed necessary because the ultramontanist(ic?) people of european nations wanted the rule of papal law to supersede that of the rapidly increasing power of the nations' governments.

they wanted immunity from the so called "liberal" governments that were increasingly gaining and exercising their own control over their sovereign nation.

4. i thought the pope always had supreme doctirine infallability when he was speaking ex cathedra-- any kind of liberalism or conservatism or whatever doesn't frikkin' matter-- el papa has the supreme and final say in catholic doctrine-- u can talk all u want about the college of cardinals or the bishops who tend their flocks locally, but Ratzinger rules and he will not ever let u forget it-- when u talk liberalism i assume u mean abortion rights, birth control, no overtly gay priests, gay marriage, x rated movies, priests being able to be married etc.-- take anyone of these topics to ur prof and expound-- u'll get an A or a B+ depending on if u tell him or her what he or she want to hear-- i'll subscribe to this thread-- lemme know how it comes out-- don't let the little shit intimidate u-- Regards, probus

5. I suppose not if the Pope is a Taoist sage. :)