Liberal Bias in the Media

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Kief Erikson, Aug 26, 2010.

1. I recently read a book entitled "Bias" by Bernie Goldberg who basically was a reporter for CBS News in the 70s, 80s, and 90s who was tired of the left slanting stories. He went public in the Wall Street Journal and consequently was damn near fired. I've noticed the liberal bias myself ( it'd be hard not to) and just wondered what others think of the subject. Before anyone goes " Well it's not near as bad as Fox!) think about how Fox is only 1 channel while ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, and MSNBC almost always slant toward the left. They also deny any poltical ties and profess they are objective and fair. Atleast Fox doesn't hide their conservative view. Discuss please.

2. Yes you are right.

The question is why we only have one FOX and 3 "liberal" networks. FOX news wins in viewership hands down, I think 5:1 next to MSNBC.

I saw this the other night and thought about that:

I think liberals are more discerning and need several sources of information to determine the consensus and go with that like the good little collectivists that they are, whereas FOX news appeals to the majority of idiot "Joe six packs" who can be lured in with cheap appeals to emotion. FOX pays lip service to common sense free market ideals, but their main schtick is being uber nationalistic, very pro-war. People love this for the same reason they love football.

As Chomsky continued:

No offense to FOX viewers, but I see it as resembling of diversion propaganda. They get you riled up on bullshit.

And note when the GOP is out of power, FOX makes more sense. If McCain were president they would be lauding the bailouts and failed stimulus plans as successful.

3. Haha I thought this was common knowledge.

I enjoy watching FOX news.

Fine, call me a "right wing nut", "right wing extremist", "bigot", "xenophpobe","racist", whatever.

I've heard it all before from the NAACP. ;)

4. #4 Mirvs, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2010
    Listen, I'm going through a schism in my beliefs but I do agree strongly with the majority of what aaron has said.

At this point I see all the liberal station as being as bad as Fox. Bernie Goldberg doesn't impress me - but mostly because of how much Sean Hannity likes him.

Oh, and Fox isn't really "just one channel" they're part of the 3rd largest media company in the world

5. I thought everyone knew about the bias but after talking to some of my liberal friends about it they were completely unaware. Yes I know that Fox news isn't technically 1 channel just like how ABC owns ESPN and such I was just trying to simplify it.

In response to idontsmokeblunts I find it very odd how just about everyday I hear the term right wing nut or right wing extremists but never left wing nut/extremists. Must be because all liberals views are reasonable and rational. You'd have to be a nutcase to disagree with them! ( note sarcasm )

6. you can all continue to debate whether it is the left or the right that rules the brainwashing you receive. never mind that corporations decide all this shit, and never mind that they don't give a fuck about anything but their bottom line.

7. #7 newbienewton, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    Amen.

Which is why we have outsourcing and so many people unemployed (including myself).

I worked my ass off for seven years. Our team had the highest sales/customer service ratings in our company. Did it protect me from lay-offs? Nope. They closed their offices and outsourced outside the state. The reason? "We are looking at a new business model and feel this is a better direction FOR THE COMPANY." Despite the fact that we increased sales and revenue significantly and that the company was doing well in this bad economy. Meanwhile, the CEO was awarded by the board of directors a full salary for five years AFTER HIS DEATH. The son-of-a-bitch wanted to be paid after he died and he got it. It also gives the beneficiaries his annual performance-based cash bonus, whatever has accrued but not yet paid out, after his death. That is the Corporate mentality we're dealing with. His salary is 1.8 million per year. This doesn't include his benefits and bonuses.

Guess what I got when I was laid off? 7 weeks of severance (a week for every year) and COBRA 400-500 per month. Yeah, thanks!

8. I wonder, when you make financial decisions, or just decisions in general, do you first consider what is best for you and yours, or do you put everyone else before you and yours?

If the leaders of a company are not to have the final say in what should or should not be done with that company, who should? The entry-level employees, perhaps?

Did the CEO have a family? Children? Grandchildren? Seeing as how a dead person cannot physically collect, manage or maintain an account for funds awarded after they die, is it possible his awarded salary may be going toward others--be they friends, family, trusts, charities, etc.?

Who should decide how much the President of a company should or should not make if not the President of that company, or his/her board of directors and/or share-holders?

9. If thats true why do they continue to pump out left wing propaganda, even as it obliterates their ratings? I'm reminded of Katie Couric. She gets terrible ratings because shes a left wing shill and CBS claims, "they're not after ratings".

'CBS Evening News' Ratings Hit Record LOW During Katie Couric's Afghanistan Trip

So, these guys are apparently putting out news based solely on ideology with no concern for ratings. Which kind of destroys your bottom line theory.

10. That's because while you have left wing terrorists - ELF/ALF/etc, for the most part blowing up things and shooting people isn't exactly a tenant of liberalism. Where as Fox News Conservatives have most of the gun nuts who wear tinfoil helmets and are just dying to use the hand grenades their pappy smuggled out of nam.

I would even go so far as to say ELF/ALF type terrorist organizations are not liberal/left at all, though they could claim to be liberals they're actions ultimately define them as something else.

But the mindset is still the same as right wing terrorism - somehow they justify shooting/blowing up/crashing planes into a building and it's sick either way.

And I think in the instance of newbienewton/Shade - I don't think a CEO puts as much in to their company as the workers on the bottom. I don't have much to back this up, it's more a belief I hold because I've been the blue collar bottom barrel worker so often (And I watch Undercover Boss hehe) So Maybe the CEO shouldn't get such and awesome reward for costing all his employees their jobs and some of that money should go towards the people who actually made it.

11. Uh...yeah, OK. Sending a woman into a war zone at the very height of American emotion regarding the whole idea of us still being at war "somehow" isn't after ratings...:rolleyes:

If a major news network isn't after ratings all of the sudden, I'd sure hate to be the Manager/Director for all those advertising contracts.

And sometimes jumping up and down screaming "we're not after ratings!" is actually a ploy to generate hype and...create ratings.

Seems to be working, since we're all here talking about it and clicking on links...

12. At some point I hope that you realize you're stereotypes do not serve you well. There have been several incidents of violence, just in the last year or so, that involved guns and liberals. In fact, I cant think of a single incident of a "fox news conservative" perpetrating any violence.

It was not the fear of conservative violence that caused Ann Coulter's speech to be cancelled this week.

It was a liberal who bit the finger off a man who disagreed with him on healthcare.

It was Obama-loving Amy Bishop who took a gun to work and murdered co-workers.

Joseph Stack flew his plane into the IRS building after writing an anti-conservative manifesto.

It was liberals who destroyed AM radio towers outside of Seattle.
    It's liberals who burn down Hummer dealerships.

It was progressive SEIU union thugs who beat a black conservative man who spoke his mind.

It's doubtful that a conservative fired shots into a GOP campaign headquarters.

In fact, Democrats have no monopoly on having their offices vandalized.
    Don't forget it was Obama's friend Bill Ayers who used terrorism as a tool for political change. SDS is still radical, with arrests in 2007 and the storming of the CATO Institute in July 2008.

It was a liberal who was sentenced to two years for bringing bombs and riot shields to the Republican National Convention in 2008.

It was a liberal who threatened to kill a government informant who infiltrated her Austin-based group that planned to bomb the RNC.

It was liberals who assaulted police in Berkeley.

It was liberals who intimidated and threw rocks through the windows of researchers.

The two Black Panthers who stood outside polls intimidating people with nightsticks were probably not right-wingers.

Every time the G20 gets together, it's not conservatives who destroy property and cause chaos.

What "right wing" terrorism are you talking about exactly?

13. So what?

So there is bias in the media.

So what?

Rightwingers watch Fox because they prefer that bias. Leftwingers watch all the other channels because they like that bias.

So what?

The argument could be made that it is impossible for a human (which is naturally biased) to create anything that doesn't reflect that bias at some level.

And if you are crazy Glenn Beck rightwing biased yourself, then something written by a moderate rightwinger is going to seem like leftwing bias.

And if you are crazy Rachel Maddow leftwing biased, then something written by a moderate leftwinger is going to seem rightwing biased.

Politics is all just bias anyway.

So I go back to the original question. So what?

Does leftwing bias in certain media hurt you in some way? If it does, then you need to grow some thicker skin.

Does leftwing bias in certain media hurt the Conservative cause in some way? Sounds like the victim card to me.

Do you think that people watch MSNBC or CNN (or whatever else you are seeing leftwing bias in) and it brainwashes them? Then do you think the same person that stumbled into Fox News or Rush Limbaugh isn't brainwashed the same way? Double standard much?

Fox News and Rush Limbaugh LOVE to point out how much higher their ratings are. So more people are consuming that bias anyway.

But so what?

At least you will notice that MSNBC doesn't even call themselves MSNBC News. The N in MSNBC doesn't stand for news. And they never claim to be balanced or fair.

Fox News DOES say that they are NEWS. The logo in their chyron on their screen 24/7 says Fox News. Their slogan is "Fair and Balanced."

But rightwinger forgive blatant bias at Fox News because they agree with that bias. Fine! Doesn't hurt me any.

But it makes "Conservatives" look pathetic that they keep crying about bias in other media.

It is NO DIFFERENT than a black person seeing racism everywhere and constantly throwing out the race card. No different at all.

You guys probably see it differently, because this time it's your card to throw out.

Footnote:

Last time I posted such a response (last time there was another OMG LEFTWING BIASzerrrrs!!@!! thread) I got slammed. "Oh yeah, I could say the same thing about your ranting about Fox News".

But if you check my post history, you'll find that I've never started a thread of posted about bias at Fox News. Because I figured out a long time ago that EVERYTHING written by a human is biased. And I chose to believe that people naturally have bias and seek out media that reflects their bias.

But if you are trying to make the case that bias at certain media outlets is bad, but it's OK at others, then you are just a flat out hypocrite.

14. For future reference I don't read your lectures anymore.

I'd say every Islamic terrorist is right wing. I'd say the assholes holding Iran hostage are right wing. I bet even some people would call George Bush a right wing terrorist.

15. Uhhh, how do you define right wing? :confused:

16. The entire left-right political spectrum is bunk. Someone who actually understands political philosophy and still subscribes to it, is, at the least, being intellectually dishonest.

17. The liberal bias is only there so that the media does not go anymore left wing. If all the news was right wing biased those damn commies might start getting a foot hold. Liberalism is just a distraction that is no better than the republicans they are trying to defeat.

18. If you think the media is biased in one direction (vs many)... you are more biased than any of them.

19. If I didn't know any better;

Left wing = Rainbows, bleeding hearts & unicorns
    Right wing = Meanies, racists & war

Corporate media has a corporate bias, which translates into a statist bias. They all support unending expansion of Federal powers for the sake of the corporatocracy.

20. And for all those who complain about 'there's only one FOX,' how do you think that fits into American "conservative" ideology, specifically the Regan singularism of Republican party politics?