Letter to Parents (Long)

Discussion in 'General' started by huecotoph, Jan 22, 2007.

1. I write to you out of deep thought and reflection. I understand how you feel that you are taking precautions to help make me a safer and better person, as well as protect your own personal interests. I feel that as I grow now as an individual it is now my time to take further control of my life decisions and goals. I respect your desire to be part of these decisions, however, ultimately they are mine, and mine alone to make. Offering ultimatums, is not working, by doing so I feel that I am only being driven further away from you. I also feel that by doing this, I am being forcefully shaped and molded into a person that I am not which builds resentment that is difficult to overcome. Instead I ask of you to be supportive of the decisions and paths that I choose to follow, offering advice and guidance along the way of life I have chosen; instead of creating the path for me. To me, this means allowing mistakes to be made and allowing me to make decisions that you may not see fit. I would rather receive advice that could be used to better myself and my way of life than receive an ultimatum that pressures me into an alternative way of being that disagrees with my person. It is not my goal to disrespect you, disappoint you or bring shame to you. However, my aim at this time is to experience life with decisions I have made, taking in advice from the people that I love.
    In the recent months, one of the decisions I have made is the consumption of marijuana. I know you feel that the usage of marijuana to be a hindrance to my present and my future. However, I feel this to be quite the opposite. Marijuana has given me a deeper portal into my Self. My primary use of marijuana is as a meditative catalyst. Through this meditation I am able to gain self-reflection in ways that I have never experienced before. Marijuana has given me a deeper thought pattern and changed my outlook on the world around me. My grades have yet to suffer, and I feel as if I have become a better person in my community and my relationships. My, view has so drastically changed that prior to marijuana use I would have never thought it possible. From an outside view, it may appear as if my life has been negatively impacted; I simply know this to be untrue. These negativities in my life have been built up by other factors occurring around me and affecting me. These factors have just recently been residing and my life is now returning to a calm and centered state.
    Another issue that has arisen in the past few months is my level of commitment and my relationship to Aimee. I understand that you do not approve of the level of commitment between the two of us. I also know that you feel this relationship is keeping me from other opportunities that may arise in my near future. Aimee and I have both discussed on many occasions the level of our relationship. She is the greatest friend I have at this time in my life, a person whom I can confide in when all other ears are closed. We have both agreed however, not to let this relationship get in the way of our future and our further education. She, more than myself has desires to go away to school and become a professional. We both acknowledge that while we are of great importance to each other, we are not the sole driving force in each other's lives.
    I am also aware of your distress about my post high school goals. I know that I did not go about applying to colleges in the best way. I was afraid of the future and felt lost in the very large world ahead of me. I procrastinated and barely made deadlines, I understand this and I am truly sorry for the stress that I had put you through. I still do not know what school I wish to attend, but I do know I wish to attend school and better myself through a higher education. I want to gain knowledge and better understanding of the world around me. I want to make a positive difference in some person's life. If in an entire life's work, I touched just a handful of people's lives, it would make everything worth it to me. This is one of the many positive attributes that I can give to marijuana, as it has influenced and inspired me to be greater and achieve greater things. This may be a goal that you have been unaware of, in which case I am sorry for the communication on my end of our parent –child relationship.
    I have chosen to write these thoughts on paper because I know that I often times have trouble communicating with you. These written words are spoken from my heart, to the highest degree, and it has been difficult for me to do so. I can only ask that you fully read these thoughts and let them settle upon your heart as well. Please reread this letter more than once and approach the ideas I have spoken of in a thoughtful and positive manner. At this time I ask for support, guidance, advice and my own conscious to be the factors that affect the decisions I make in my life.

2. That is very good.

3. Good letter, and idea too...I also find I have trouble communicating with my parents, and if I wrote a letter to them I'm sure it'd make it much easier.

Anyways, let us know what they say =)

4. Very well done!

5. i second that, nice letter. +rep

6. haha, if i wrote a letter like that to my parents they'd be like "...you smart ass, get outta here." and then theyd toss the paper. hmph. but yeah, it's very well written and eloquent, i hope they do take it to heart

7. Very well thought out, nice points. I hope they listen :)

8. Very well put mate, +rep!

9. That is...real...I can feel it...hope everything works out fine...

I need to write sumn like dat to my parents for real...LOL

10. That was very well put, best of luck!

11. Very nice letter! Can you please update us on what their reaction was because I myself am going through a very similar stage in my life and the idea of writing a letter to them never occured to me untill now :D

12. dude im gonna borrow the first part of that and give it to my girl to give to her parents cuz they are basicially setting her life out for her and she wants nothing to do with any of what they want.

i hope you dont mind.

thanks

13. nicely done, sir. that's pretty much exactly the stuff i conveyed to my parents when i was in your spot. if you haven't given it to them yet, maybe throw in some fact about marijuana not being physically addictive. That was a big sticking point with my parents. i ended up not smoking for a month to show them 1)that i could refrain from smoking if i wanted to, and 2) that i was the same guy with or without the ganj. excellent work though. +rep.

14. well, i think i should smoke a bowl before i read ALL of that lol. be back..

15. damn dude that was intense and well thought out. i like it and it sounds like me minus the aimee part lol

16. Hey all, i gave them that letter last night before i left for work, when i got home they said nothing to me about it, i figure its a good thing, id rather have them sit on it and think about it for awhile , i expect to hear a real reaction tonight, wish me luck.

^^^^ feel free to use parts of my letter, id be honored if it could help anybody else.

17. I seriously couldn't have said it better myself...

18. cant wait to here what happens

that was a great letter