Letter to Obama

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Berry, Oct 10, 2009.

1. I had an idea for one strategy we could use to get the attention of the government and the media. I was reading a report from the Drug Policy Alliance where they referred to many current and ex-political leaders in Latin America as well as Europe, that were for drug policy reform. What if we drafted a formal letter to the president and got political leaders from all over the world from many different countries to sign or endorse the letter. It would take a while to get that many signatures from that many places in the world but if a letter could be drafted and agreed upon on a site like this with many activists from around the globe then it would be easier to get all the signatures needed. All we would have to do is:

1. Draft a formal letter to the president focusing on a simple statement such as "We believe that the current United States Drug Policies cause more harm than the use of the drugs themselves."
    2. Send letters to leaders from around the world asking them if they agree with this statement and would be willing to lend their voice and endorse the formal letter to the US president asking him to open up true debate of US drug policy. We could include a signature page attachment that they could sign if they wanted to be included in the letter.
    3. Collect all the signature pages and attach them to the formal letter.
    4. Try and get some high profile figure to present the letter to the president.
    5. Get the media involved so that it can't be ignored and wait for a response.

I think a strategy like this could be very affective. What do yall think?

2. #3 dankbuster, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2009
    The government is one step ahead of us, sounds like a conspiracy probably but the truth is, they want it illegal in order to support their agenda.

Basically the government decided that locking up civilians and raking in billions of tax dollars to keep them in there was the most profitable option, sending letters telling them that they are wasting our money on the drug war is just about the same as mailing them letters telling them to end the war... They aren't going to end a war that brings in billions upon billions of dollars - You think the government cares what we want? - The government doesn't even care about the lives of their soldiers... The soldiers that believe that they are fighting to protect something GREAT. If they can bring in 1million dollars for every handful of soldiers and not give a damn whether they die or not, what makes you think that they are interested in tending to our needs?

Zeitgeist - When you have 2 hours to spare, check it out to see how our government works.

3. Things are never really about what they appear to be
    its not illegal because of what it is
    and like this guy ^^^^ was saying... its all about money.
    You've got your head in the right place, and I fully support your ideas..
    but I don't think its possible for us to end the drug war, let alone legalize pot

4. Thats just what the government wants you to do. Just give up and not try to fight back because the odds seem to be against you. If you don't try and fight for your rights and freedoms then you have already lost and are a slave to the system.