letter to obama

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by bluhaze, Apr 7, 2009.

1. here is an email i am sending obama. although i dont expect a reply, and i assume it will get trashed before it gets to him, i am trying.

Dear President Obama,
    Change has been promised by you and your administration. And, for the most part, change has been given. I, as a United States citizen, ask of you, how can a plant, one that has been in use by humans for thousands of years, and legal up until the 1930's, be illegal? This plant was grown by law in Jamestown, used by Abraham Lincoln, and according to a new Spanish study, can cure brain cancer. This plant has been used by nearly half of all Americans over the age of twelve. Your press secretary said "a fringe group" voted on your town hall website for the questions about marijuana. President Obama, do you really consider half of the United States a "fringe group"? Your mocking dismissal of an urgent economical, social, and environmental issue was disheartening. Surely such a man in your position with the skills and power that you have would realize the need to address this issue in a refined, professional, and scientific manner. Marijuana law reform, I assure you, is no laughing matter. Our prisons are overflowing with non-violent persons charged with simple possession of a naturally occurring plant. Sick people, with cancer, AIDS, and other deadly or disabling diseases are being denied treatment with a plant that was endorsed as a medicine by the United States government in 1996. Kids, who can obtain cannabis more easily than alcohol because of its illegality, are being sent to rehabilitation programs by court order for a non-addictive drug. Drunk driving kills thousands of citizens every year, but I challenge you, Mr. President, to find 5 cases of highway deaths in which marijuana was the only cause of the accident, since marijuana was ruled illegal in 1937. Marijuana was ruled illegal under racist and prejudiced grounds, as newspapers read "Marihuana influences Negroes to look at white people in the eye, step on white men's shadows and look at a white woman twice." Harry Anslinger, first director of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics in the 30's, once said "There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others." I urge you, Mr. Obama, to consider the social, political, environmental, international, local, industrial, and endless benefits of the greatest plant on earth, marijuana.

what do you guys think?

2. Lookin' pretty good. Thanks for taking action, +rep.

3. thanks man. every day i look for new marijuana law reform news. my igoogle has a google news marijuana filter lol. it just seems like legalisation is just around the corner, and if enough people just do little things to push it forward, we can make this happen.

4. hey awesome letter man, wanna send a copy to Steven Harper(Prime Minister Of Canada) too?

5. If you just look, Obama's snub of our cause has brought an enourmous uproar supporting us. We have more attention and news is coming all around. Groups and masses of people will beg for him to Legalize It. Soon Obama will Legalize and say "I have fallen to the will of the people." At that point he didn't Legalize. We did.

6. add something abut how people in college can no longer dream to be president because they were busted, and how if he were busted when he was in college president obama would not be his title today...

7. haha well i think coming from me it would be weird though... i assume you're in canada, i dont mind if you change some stuff so it will apply to canadians and send it in though lol:D