Let's talk about the education system (and do some math too)

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by NativeSoundz, Dec 31, 2012.

1. what do you guys think about the overwhelming absence of art and trade skills classes in schools???

a majority of things taught in this country's k-12 system are absolutely useless in the real world once high school is over.

2. Infinity is a concept...not a number...

Pretty hard to use real numbers to count to a concept...

Also...if the counting never ends, that hardly makes it countable does it...

3. true but you would still have the ability to count upwards, so the numbers would still ascend you would just never stop

4. My school had a pretty good range of classes, Imo it really comes down to how smart the kid is and if they are forthinking and take advantage of the opportunities they have. Some kids think of high school now as a ride they get through so they can get on the college ride. But I agree metal shop and wood shop were two of the most usefull classess I took. The science classes I took sucked and I found myself studying way beyond the scope of the course quite often.

I think that Math should really be taught within other classes instead of being a class in itself where they strip the math of all interesting properties and instead focus on faceless number crunching. Mabye still have dedicated math/algebra/calculus courses but also have other courses in other fields that teach math so not everyone has to do years of number crunching

5. So...the numbers would never stop...so...counting the number of rooms and arriving at an end number would be an unachievable task then, correct?

For something to be considered countable, you must actually be able to count it...not endlessly recite numbers with no hope of ever reaching the actual final number...

6. i agree with that entirely.

but the fact that i can physically count in an ascending fashion whether or not theres an end to it is a different story.

i think you're meaning (and correct me if i'm wrong) that "countable" pertains to something with an exact, definite number...which in that case would definitely be impossible to relate to the concept of infinite

7. Exactly...:)

Countable | Define Countable at Dictionary.com

8. my high school had the classrooms for wood/metal shop and an auto mechanic garage, but none of the $$$ to actually use them. so they just sat there. i had woodshop in 8th grade when i was living in Nebraska, that was such an awesome class and i actually felt like i learned things i could actually use.

its not just about the trades themselves that the schools should teach. by doing things outside of the normal circumstances it forces people to expand their minds and have different perspectives on things. Art in school isn't just about trying to make something pretty, it teaches people to get outside their comfort zones and approach situations with different tools. I believe that if schools were to combine these things with mathematics and other subjects, the entire education process as a whole would be much more effective.

9. room one all other guests move too (r+1) were r is the original room

10. Correct :) Even though I already replied with the answer :smoking:

To the users discussing the concept of infinite, countable sets:

"The elements of a countable set can be counted one at a time-although the counting may never finish, every element of the set will eventually be associated with a natural number."

11. I don't approve of our education system, as it doesn't encourage free thinking. Sure, you need to learn about history, math, science and all that stuff. But our education system is flawed in such a way as it teaches kids to think about things from the same angle. A very famous man once said, "If everyone is thinking the same thing, then no one is thinking."

We essentially teach kids to memorize sequences of facts, and parrot them back to the teachers in exams for a score. Aside from some certain fields of study, a lot of courses try to tell how to apply knowledge, rather than letting students learn how to apply said knowledge for themselves.