Let's talk about tap water

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jonhova, Jul 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I am noticing a lot more people finally breaking away from the notion that all water is created equally.

I think it would be nice to have a thread that can specifically address water questions. Like an FAQ for adjusting organic inoits to conplement your tap water.

Things like minimum and max amounts of : ca, na, mg , ph, sulfur and like products.

Here is my water report from 2016 to get things started.

http://www.covinaca.gov/sites/defau.../page/461/2016_water_quality_report_-_cic.pdf

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. I just use tap water from my city. It comes out at 34 PPM with 0.1 EC and a 8.2 PH

I supplement it with Calimagic and PH it to 6.4 and have no problems.

My cities water uses chloramine instead of chlorine though

• Like Like x 1
  3. I would interject that well water is most problematically influential when considering "issues" associated with organic soil grows...

Thanks for starting this thread. I've shared quite a lot of information considering such, based upon my own experience. I'm sure that a lot of folks think I'm crazy. Maybe I am. :confused_2:

Most of them know nothing about soil chemistry or the influence that the dissolved solids contained within irrigation waters might have upon such.

Will be following...

• Like Like x 7
  4. If anyone knows about fucked up water, it's Wak. I also remember not only the weird issues he was having, but the time and $$ involved to finally suss out the problem.

My issue is more like @MooseMusic with tap water close to RO, average of 37PPM TDS. Those issues are much easier to deal with. Plenty easy to add minerals and dolo lime along with kelp meal takes care of ~90% of everything.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. My water is very similar to yours. about 50 ppm, ph 8 - 8.2.

It smells a little of clorine fresh from the tap, but importantly it tastes great. I dont bother ph'ing,just let it sit for a few hours.

6. It's funny, people think if you live out in the country you must have good water.
    I live up in the hills far from the noise,my water is kinda shit.
    Starts at almost 300 on a good day and is never below 8.5.
    The only good ( if you can call it that, is its chlorine not chloramine)

Boom4200 winter spring grow journal

7. In San Diego the PPM of water is 467 da fuq?!? And the PH is 6-7. Why are our PPMs so high?

8. Tap water is fine for cannabis plants. I've used it the past 3 years with no issues.

9. They say ( not sure who THEY are) if it's safe to drink, it should be okay for your plants,
    When you say tap water is ok, you mean your tap water , or all tap water, ?
    Some spots in socal are coming out the tap in the 600's and in the 9's, I'm sure folks are dumping that on their plants, but if I had another route, I think I would take it

10. I mean my tap water in California. Idk about anywhere else. I'm just going off my experience

• Like Like x 1
  11. @waktoo were you building up excess cations? When someone has a well either have to use plastic or extra thick copper pipe. The high mineral content causes electrolysis.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yeah. Sodium ions.

They come from the ground, not pipes...

13. Oh wow salt. We usually are only concerned with lime content. Sodium is in there I'm sure. Just like in soil electrolysis happens inside water pipe. The higher the mineral content the faster copper pipe breaks down.

You actually made me realize what electrolysis is. Ions of the same charge repelling. I learned more of my trade from these forums