Let's say you're driving down the road...

Discussion in 'General' started by Mogwai, Jul 6, 2011.

1. You're going 60 mph with the windows down just cruising. All of a sudden a super fly decides to catch up to you and is flying along side of you, also going 60 mph. If this fly were to cross over and fly in through your open window, what would happen?

Would the fly, upon entering your moving car, instantly slam into your windshield going 60 mph? Or would the fly have to maintain its speed to stay in its position because slowing down would cause it to slam into the back windshield?

I feel like this is a simple question, but I don't know what would go down.

2. drivin', drivin' down the road
    fly's in my mouth
    a la mode! :laughing:

3. ¯\(_o)/¯

4. I think the fly would hit the front windshield?

5. Shit man, I just wrote an essay before thinking about it and realising what a mind-fuck this is. Whats the answer???

6. its like spitting in the car while going 60 mph. my freind said that the spit would fly backwards and hit you in the face.

But then again my freind is retarded, and i explained to him if you were to spit in a car going 60mph. its like spitting at 60mph, and your spit is literally going 60mph.

7. Haha I have absolutely no clue. I've wondered this shit for years. I've asked a few forums but never got a solid answer.
    Wait... So if the fly entered the vehicle going 60 it would combine with the speed of the car it's now in and would be going 120? That's not what you meant is it haha?

8. Speed is relative, the real mindfuck is knowing that you are always moving extremely fast through space.

9. So can anybody say one way or the other?

10. I'd flip shit and crash

11. Ive wondered the same thing many times, wish I knew the answer :(

12. If the fly is pushing back enough air to go 60 and moves into the car, assuming the air in the car is still, the fly would accelerate and most likely smash into the windshield.

Taking mass and shit into account it probably wouldn't accelerate to exactly 60 inside the car but close.

13. Then why wouldn't everything in your car be plastered to the back glass?

The answer will have something to do with the wind resistance inside the car vs outside the car... but I really hated physics, so I don't want to rack my brain trying to figure this one out.

14. The fly would be flying 60mph still along with your car, not hard to comprehend. If he stops, he will fly back and hit the seat.

15. itd be one thing if you were in space

I think the air current around the car would throw him all over the place once he got inside, because he is so small.

but he wouldn't slam into your window and explode or anything

16. Ok... let me explain.

So to answer your question it would be necessary to decide how realistic we want to be.
    Lets assume that there is NO air resistance. If this were the case (which is not true to real life) then the fly going 60 mph would enter your car which is also going 60 mph and you would both continue to go 60 mph. There would be no difference from outside to inside the car for you or the fly.

With air resistance, if the fly was going 60 mph and then it moved into your car and was protected by the windshield it would probably accelerate and hit your windshield. But then again the fly would no longer be going 60mph because it would accelerate. If it remained at 60mph then you would notice no difference in the orientation of the fly.

hope that makes sense...

17. cruisin cruison in your car
    see a troll say HAHAHA
    what he says is out of place
    what a waste of forum space

it would hit you at 60mph but it wouldnt do much damage cuz it would dissintegrate on impact

I actually recall a Mythbusters episode where they tested this.

18. ...the car is still going 60.

19. Sir, ARE YOU HIGH ON MARIJUANA?

20. Well it would hit the back windshield.