Let's philosophise about art...

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by collidescopic, Aug 22, 2010.

1. This thread is for discussing art, artists, art forms with regards to the inhalation or oral ingestion of Marijuana.

My intentions for creating this thread is simple; my girlfriend hates me smoking, but smoking pot makes me (i think) a more inventive artist. She maintains I don't need it. And she is correct, I don't. The pieces i create without Grass are good, but different, less spontaneous. I'm wondering if anyone else has similar experiences?

Furthermore (man I'm high) I've been thinking about art and how it relates to me, to others and society in general. Is art a reflection or a representation of cultural artefacts? Does art exhibit the psychology of the artist accurately or is it merely a façade hiding the artist's true nature, or does it reveal it more brightly, exaggerating it?

What is art? There are many forms and mediums of art. But what is art truly?

Why is some art bad and some art good? Who decides and why?

Is art the labour or the result or labour?

These are some of the question I find really interesting and I thought that seeing as we're all smoking ourselves silly we might as well use the grey matter in a positive way which might prod our brains a little.

Please bear these 'rules' in mind before posting

1) keep your thoughts open ended, with a question is possible, unless the assertion is made as a riposte to a specific made previously in the discussion.
    This way the debate moves quickly and doesn't become stale and stops anybody looking silly by posting a reply and thinking they've solved a great question.
    2) remember what Plato says, its not the result but the journey (or something like that) we're not expecting to solve great questions or reach huge conclusions, but we should strive to think logically and give honest and thoughtfully answers.
    3) Long essays are fine, in fact they're encouraged (if you can keep your attention that long) but be sure it makes sense and its concisely written with logical steps and if possible metaphors or examples.
    4) Once a topic is started try to keep to that one otherwise there could be too many conversations at once.
    5) Play.

Philosophy is a Gay Science and should be treated as such.No one thought is entirely correct EVER!! Some may be more correct that others but should bear the burden of proof so challenge each other.

SO...With regards to Grass, seeing as this is GRASSCITY, the question we'll begin to tackle should be

"What does Grass do for art and artists? should be think like my girlfriend that Grass doesn't really help and we could do what we do without it? Or is Grass a necessity and should be encouraged for artists?"

This is to get us warmed up for the more interesting stuff.

Damn I hope this works, stoners and thir short attention spans probably never made it to the bottom of the post :)

2. #2 CJR, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2010
    Dude your right about that last line. That was the only one I read besides the title.
    Here's my copy of Time Transfixed, originally created by Rene Magritte. He's second only to Salvidore Dali in the Surrealist section of 20th century art. He's also my personal favorite.
    Try and figure out what this means....

[​IMG]

Time Transfixed, Rene Magritte, 1938

Good link for more surrealist work: Surrealism: 1934-44

3. I compel one to imagine doing art in a really hot humid room, in a hard wooden chair, and with a really dull pencil...

Sure, you CAN work like that, but once you've experienced working in a comfortable environment, you don't really want to go back to the uncomfortable one, as it effects the quality of your work.

Just the same, once you've experienced working in a slightly altered state of mind.. well, you enjoy working in that environment and you could possibly work more effectively that way.

So here is a question in that regard.. If an artist is working in an altered state of mind, What does that do for his other artwork? Which of his works would be the truer representation of the artist himself?

4. The most basic nature of art is subjectivity. Thus, any interpretations of works, especially the visual realms of photos and paintings, is for me a collobaration between the artist and the audience.

*mytummy is aching :( *

5. I doubt daVinci could have said it better.

6. Art is an expression on how the artist is feeling or thinking on any given canvas. As for your girlfriend, mine is the same way :rolleyes:

Just gotta tell her to accept it because it causes no harm, and it brings benefits.

7. Art is creation of the human mind. Some may be dreck and not to your taste but it still is art. Art can only be made when there is a human involved. An elephant may paint with a brush but it doesn't know what it is doing.

To me Art is a subconscious collection of information you have gathered. If you disagree you may find this interesting.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyQjr1YL0zg]YouTube - Derren Brown - Subliminal Advertising[/ame]

(I don't really view advertising as art. But that is just me some consider it art. I am thinking more of the process when posting that video)

8. omfg this is my lyfe right here

every time i look to see what time it is or see my reflection in the mirror i get hit in the balls by a train that comes out of a fake fire place. +cant find a lighter 4 stupid candles grr