Lets make some hooch!

Discussion in 'General' started by pineconeplace, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Swim is making hooch in there "neutral" room, the room between the grow room and the rest of the house. The set up was basic enough and would provide him with something to drink while the plants grow. Any one do this/think i should attempt this? I dont care how it tastes because i mix everything in pepsi to cover up the flavor.

2. I don't know how knowledgeable you are about the topic but be careful. Distilling alcohol improperly can cause you to go blind or kill you. Although the process is very simple it poses many dangers. For your safety, Read about the topic thoroughly before starting. I have done it a couple of times; however, I don't want to provide information that could lead up to an accident. Be safe buddy.

3. A handle of vodka, a handle of grain alcohol, your favorite Hawaiian Punch flavor, Mountain Dew, Kool Aid powder, some Natty Lights to add more liquid to it.

Mix it all into a Gatorade cooler.

That is what we call "hooch" in college.

4. read abit about distilling first, or you'll likely blow yourself up and burn your house down.

it requires heat over long periods of time and if not controlled properly the vapours you are tying to collect will ignite. probs best to do this sorta thing outside in a shed or something, away from the house.

also distilling of alcohol for human consumption is not legal in most parts of the world, just like grass, so if you get raided it's just another no-no they'll slap you with, and it'll look worse if your growing whats deemed as a commercial amount. to them it'll look like a factory of illegal substances.

look up a bunch of the kits you can buy (not sure about the laws over there but over here it is perfectly legal to buy the equipment, just not to put it together and actually use [fucking stupid, i know, but thats how it is] and go from there. you can get electric stills with almost complete automation but they are still dangerous, expensive, and obvious for what they are being used for.

5. We did this back in high school. We got milk jugs and mixed sugar water with yeast, let it ferment, then distilled it in a large pot with a lid we flipped upside down with ice on top and a cup in the bottom of the pot to collect the alcohol..... Very tedious and not very smart but it did the job eventually.

Like others have said just get a kit at your local brewing supply store :D

6. Make beer! Legal to do, easier and safer than distilling! :D My eldest son brews his own! He made "Gingerbread beer" for Xmas!

7. Hooch is the jail version of moonshine where juices are mixed into a container with yeast/sugar and allowed to ferment. I don't really know the process, but it is much safer than distillation through the absence of a flame. I'm not sure if methanol is ever a byproduct of hooch, so OP do some research on that. I know in distillation the methanol is contained within the first 10-20% of your product.

Be careful, as long as you do some googling you'll be just fine.

8. Go for it. I can proudly say that I have made hooch before as well, and it didn't turn out half bad.

The only reason that I went through with it though is because as a part of my degree in biochemistry, my school taught me how to properly distill liquids (also a common lab technique to perform chemical workups) and made sure I knew the chemistry behind it. Otherwise I would have never risked making it without all the proper knowledge.

Be careful, and make sure it's completely distilled or you may wind up with methanol, only one carbon away from being ethanol (what we drink) but it makes you go blind!

9. I should have given more background, this is a partnership grow/still but i would also want a personal still, im not someone who got the idea from moonshiners, i understand its a chemical process so i would have my friend help me make it. I wouldnt use any open flames and make sure to properly vent. Im also familiar with whats needed since i let my friend order all the large equipment to my house, im actually looking at his 198QT stainless steel drum that just came today. Im just riding out the winter till spring when we can put my plants and still outside(what the drum will be used for) but i like the beer idea since its legal and might just go that route