Let's get to a point.. shall we?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Degrassmann, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Wanna share my thoughts with ya'll. The topic is the point of it all. Not human life, but it all. What's the point of it ALL. Forget why humans are here, or our planet, why is there a galaxy? Why is there a universe? Why is there anything?

Growing up I strongly believed in heaven. Mainly because everyone around me did as well, and I was a mama's boy scared of death and heaven made me feel some what relieved and hopeful. Well as I've aged and grown wiser :rolleyes: I accept the fact that not only is there a very slim chance a heaven exists, but the thought of it existing is actually completely humorous to me.

People want to believe that we die and go to some never ending party in the middle of nothing? Really? For ever and ever amen? It would be madness. It would be insanity. "so... we really are just here.. forever?"

Then think about "God", an almighty creator who must be conscience themselves to create consciousness, well where the hell did "he" come from? What's the point of the creator? lol it's all truly madness, even if there was some creator spinning his webs forming all this shit, WTF IS THE POINT?! Why?.. Why?... why?

I understand that there is no point to life, and that makes it as special as it is, because we make our own point, but when it comes to everything.. I mean come on there has to be a base, there has to be a point, or is it all really just random madness. But with the amount of perfection in this reality, the amount of coincidences, it seems at the same time nothing is random. Everything has a reason. So what's the reason for all?? What are your ideas? Thoughts?

2. i do not know man...but often is it like you went form being open to stating opinions as facts, like they were facts back to be open again...imo.

3. life is so expansive that you can not assign it meaning. this is the beauty in it

4. There is no point. Everything is random. There is balance in the chaos.

The earth is 4.56 billion years old. Can you even comprehend that much time? 4,560,000,000 vs 120,000 (when homosapiens showed up) vs ~18 (however old you are).

You mean nothing to the universe. Humans are not the main event. Get over it and enjoy the planet.

5. ^^That's a rather ridiculous thing to say. No one knows for sure how old the earth is or how long people have been around for. Is anyone millions or billions of years old? Ok then everything they say isn't stable. It's based off scholars and textbooks from the past that have been altered constantly. Saying that I or anyone means nothing is ignorance. If anything meant nothing it wouldn't be here, the flower outside your house means as much as you. All is meaningful. and I said in my post this has nothing to do with the reasons of humans..I'm talking a lot bigger scale here.

Anyway when I think about it to say that there is no point to it all makes me believe that's misunderstanding something. It's so vast and overwhelming that many humans just can't think of such things so they say they are meaningless or come to some conclusion. Through my entire life it seems the quote everything happens for a reason is spot on, there's gotta be reasons for it all. But to think of an answer is so out of our elements, it seems impossible to make any conclusion for the purpose of everything.

6. Nothing is meaningful and everything is meaningful. By "scholars and textbooks," do you mean geologists and scientists who study the earth and how things evolve? If there were a point to life, with our limited understanding of anything beyond this galaxy, I doubt humans could even begin to comprehend it.

There is no reason. Everything just IS, it's all connected, there is a flow to our world and any human attempts to control or define it is wasted energy. We're smart, but not that smart.

7. Agreed, a lot better post lol. The contradictions are true. Everything is a miracle and nothing is a miracle. Everything is meaningful and everything is meaningless. Yes by scholars I mean people who study a field. I don't disregard their studies, as that would be very disrespectful to someone who dedicated years of their time to finding out those sciences, but in the end it is a fact that no one knows, it's all speculation. Our entire past is all a mystery.

And you hit the nail on the head, it's too big to comprehend and all in all just a waste of time and energy to focus on it. It's really funny when I think about it, once we started getting smart the big questions must have instantly arised, "why are we here? who created us? what's the point?" must have drove them crazy, then time went on and people realized we have no power to answer those questions, and so we go through life not knowing the big questions, and focus on micro lives that we can control.

8. #8 esseff, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2012
    Those people's idea of heaven is just a childish way of imagining something that cannot be imagined. If reality is how you make it, according to who you are and how you see things, then heaven is an assumption that the human mind creates to explain something that cannot be explained in human terms.

For those who believe in an afterlife, the idea of heaven assumes we leave what we call here and go there. But there's no 'there' to go to, there's only here, and it's always right now. In order to leave here, the idea of death has to take on a certain constructed reality in the mind, in order to make the idea of 'here and there' seem plausible.

That doesn't mean the idea of heaven can't have something real, nor does it mean that what we assume death to be is correct as well.

Some people say heaven is a place on earth. I suppose it would have to be as where else would you find it? So, in order to know it, there would have to be a way of altering one's frequency in a way that most people are not currently able to do.

What we call death is all that's left once the life force has gone. For the one we see as having died, we make a reasonable assumption that 'they' are gone. But physics tells us that energy cannot be destroyed, so who says this life force doesn't simply change its frequency, and for the individual going though it, life is simply continuous? Much like waking from a dream, where moments ago it all seemed so real, you realise it wasn't real, and carry on with your 'new' life.

9. Very nice and to the last thing ya said, I do believe in the energy that makes us all live. Like they say when someone dies they lose x amount of weight, as if the soul had left. What powers you? your brain? everything? the battery has to be that energy within us all. The soul as we call it. Where that energy goes would be the question, but to me I'm not interested in where it goes, but is it to another level of conscience that we will be able to be aware of?

"But there's no 'there' to go to, there's only here, and it's always right now."

really like that.. all these thoughts of then and there or there and then.. but there is only now, and there will only ever be now.

10. What if the answer is as simple as ... "why not?"

11. Haha I live my life by why not. Why? .. why not? :p But why not for all this lmao, ah shit is crazy.

12. #12 LittleJacob, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
    I don't know know man... I honestly don't think we can say for sure WTF is up with it all haha. Because anything we say or think of would just be our human interpretation, limited by our limited human concepts and all of that.

I guess we might just have to settle with the... "Why not?" haha

So true man. Even say there is an afterlife, our conscious experience DOES continue after our physical death on Earth... wherever and "whenever" we are, we would still always be HERE, and NOW! THERE IS NO ESCAPE FROM THE MOMENT!! :devious: haha

but COULD there be some point, some answer to the "WHY" of it all? for me... the fuck knows haha

13. Does there have to be a point? What's the point in stubbing your toe?

As an amusing aside, I would like to point to either 'The Egg' by Andy Weir The Egg
    Or 'Talking to God…' by The Ragged Trousered PhilosopherRagged Trousered Philosopher

Both are a deep, interesting read and touch on this topic.

14. The egg story makes people look like a bunch of schizophrenics. :smoke:

15. :confused: How so? Schizophrenics think there's more than one person in them. The Egg shows that shizos are just normal people. :D

16. What makes you think there is a 'why' at all? From chaos comes spontaneous order, no?

17. [quote name='"Shade"']What makes you think there is a 'why' at all? From chaos comes spontaneous order, no?[/quote]

Snowflakes.

18. snowflakes lmao, great example. absolute mind blowing that they are all different. thats another "why?!" every snow flake different?! Madness. :p

It's like someone is just fucking with us lol. "Man this is gonna be some crazy shit. These people ain't gonna know what the fuck is going on. Get this I'm gonna make every snow flake different, HA! Blow their fricken minds.."

19. No I mean snowflakes are an example of order coming from apparent chaos.
    All crystallization is.

20. I would say it doesn't have a reason other than to exist. We exist just to perpetuate our existence as long as possible.

As far as the universe it desires balance and will do everything it can to achieve balance as efficiently as possible all the wonderful things we see are just an amazing bi-product of the cosmic fight for balance.