Let's Convert an A/C to a Chiller...

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by jakesterjammin, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Can you use a ball valve to slow a inline pump down? Maybe if the flow is too fast it could do the trick.....might wear out the pump though

2. Ya, that's a good idea!! :metal:
    Maybe an inline valve so you could adjust the flow up or down... :confused_2:

3. #103 needa, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
    that is a good idea. i cant see trimming the flow of water being any different than it climbing another foot.

4. Well EcoPlus pumps you can turn down...
    All the knob in the front does, when you turn it, the inside of it just restricts water into the pump by covering some
    of the intake....

So I would say it'll work fine with no harm to the pump... :confused_2:

5. I love collaborations

6. i got it ripped apart. dremelled the inner coil fan. re-ran my wires. vacuumed. grabbed cooler... and its too small. going to run to wally world right quick.

question while i am gone... these things suck through the outter coil correct? or do they suck through the sides and push air out.

7. #107 jakesterjammin, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
    Do what????
    What are you referring to as a "outer coil"??

Edit:
    Ohhhhhh, wait I know....

Yes, the A/C I did has vents on the top and both sides...
    It draws the air in that way, the fan pushes the air through the condenser, and out the back of the unit.....

So the answer is Yes.... LOL

8. so cool beans then. you build the duct around the back

9. That was the plan, but the dam thing is in a basement and only runs 10-15min every 2-4hrs...
    On the days when it was over 100 outside, the basement did get into the mid 80s....

But it maintained the res at 66 to 69 and it's res I think the highs and lows were 41 and 53 maybe......
    So I did not vent the back like I was going too......

It's like a Dehumidifier now.... LOL :D

But yes, just as much heat it pulls from the water, it's compressor, and fan, will come out the back of that unit... ;)

10. And as my buddy TS says...
    PICS, or it never happened... :D

11. just need to close it all up:)

Attached Files:

12. there is a very good chance that i am going to set this in my fireplace and duct it up.

13. See, not that hard at all....
    Now your first run will drop that chiller res down to the 30s and freeze the evap...
    You do not want that....

So what I would do is set the "controller" sensor in the chiller res and set it to the lowest setting, I think it's 45, and once you get your res down to normal temp, then have the sensor in the nute res....

Ya just do not want to freeze that evap...
    It's bad for the compressor... ;)

14. ready for the wort. i figure ill send the hoses out of the hole and then sling some foam in there. going to run a couple of four inch ducts on each side so they can get out of the fireplace and pull in fresh air. not going to run a duct. just gonna seal the front of fireplace and let it exhaust up the chimney.

Attached Files:

15. umm... do not buy the coiled tubing. its turned in a 20" diameter. luckily... i have a rez big enough for it. but there is no way it will fit in a tote.

Attached Files:

16. Ya, you would have to rewind the tubing....
    What I do when I have to wind the coils is use a frozen 2L soda bottle...
    It does take two people though, 1 to hold the end and bottle still, and 1 to wrap it around the bottle..

The soda bottle is the perfect size coil for a tote res...
    The trick is to pull on the tubing as hard as you can as you wrap it around the bottle..

But works out prefect....

The other day I unplugged the pump with the chiller running, forgot all about it for, had to be a cpl hrs, and when I went down, it was at -10*F... LOL

I snapped a pic, I'll post it up when I get home...
    I'm at the coffee shop with the wife chillin and drinking some ice coffee.... :D

:wave:

17. lol. thats pretty damn chilly. thanx for the tip. i am going to head to autozone and see if they have a flaring tool for the ends. and it looks like i am going to be forced to stray away from my diet and buy a two liter of that wonderfully sugared and caffeinated beverage called coca-cola. <--been looking for an excuse.

enjoy your coffee.

18. LOL

I bought 5 bottles and poured them out... LMFAO :D
    IMO ya don't need a flare, just two ss hose clamps will be fine.... ;)

19. My bad, it was -7F.... LOL

But check the pic out......
    I think that was a 2hr or so run without the chiller's pump on... :eek:

Attached Files:

20. #120 needa, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012
    that is insane.

i finally got mine installed and running minus the temp controller that i cannot find. water was sitting at 83. ill edit and add my temps by the hour. my buckets are filling atm. so the results will be slightly skewed. cooler temp has dropped 5 degrees in seven minutes. this is pretty bad ass.

only issue i can foresee is the digital thermostat.

4:50am res 83
    5:10 chiller shut off. water at 45 degrees
    5:48 finally got chiller back on. did not have thermostat down all the way. rez temp at 79.
    6:50 74. chiller has been on entire hour. chiller temp 58.
    8:00 69. woooooooot

i reckon theres about 80 gallons of water in my rez atm. 14 degrees within three hours and you could technically call it 2.5 hours.

Attached Files: