Let's Convert an A/C to a Chiller...

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by jakesterjammin, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Couldn't you invest in one of those window chiller units? I know it's $$ but they are very powerful no?

2. They're $2,700 :eek:

When you can make one for like $400...;)

3. Oh what the hell!! That's crazy talk

4. A 1 ton Hydro Innovation window unit is $2,695.00
    I can take a 24,000 BTU A/C and do the EXACT SAME THING for like $400, maybe $475 depending on thee A/C's cost..
    That will give you 1 ton of chilling....

:wave:

5. This is exactly why I'm wanting to do the chiller with the ice boxes, I can't afford the equipment, or the electricity to do both AC and chiller. And if I'm understanding this correctly the chiller would be able to do both with the ice boxes, so it's either one or the the other, both don't make sinse to me. Now I'm thinking I should get a large window unit and flush mount it to the window, and if it works and the elect bill is affordable I could leave it like this if not then I can do the conversion. A 50 gallon nute res should stay cool on its own right? Maybe it's as simple as adding the AC. I like the chiller idea because you can expand and use it for multiple things, whatever i do it has to be cost effective (because I'm not selling this shit) and efficient

6. My AC buddy is dropping off an 18000 btu window unit for me today!! It's gona work. IM FUCKING STOKED!!!! It's free!!!

7. Well then....
    Ya a 18K BTU unit will do it for sure....

The lights are about 8K and figure another 3K for the 50gal nutrient res..
    Then because you're so hot outside, that leaves you with like 6-7K to cool the room...

So yes, an 18K unit should be fine and it equals about 1-1/2 ton chiller...
    I said 24K BTU was a 1 ton, I was high, 24,000 BTU is about 2 tons, so 18K is about a ton and a half...

Now how you going to do it?? :confused_2:
    What's your game plan??

8. JJ, what do you think, would an 18000 btu window unit with ice boxes do the trick? I have access to a good mini split, the problem is I would have to have my friend do the evac and charge the lines, and I don't want him to know what I'm doing. With the chiller I could do it all myself plus I have more options with the chiller.

9. Sorry I was writing the last post at the same time as you. Lol

10. Let me draw you up something to show you how I think it should be setup...

11. Interested in this mini splkt

12. Haven't decided, I'm leanin towards flush mounting the unit in the window in the room, and sealing the condenser side so it's not visable from the outside to eliminate the need for the 1 hp pump. What size pump would you recommend if the chilled water line was all In the same room? Maybe 15' horizantal would hit everything.

I bought the temp controller you told me about when you told me how to do the whart cooler, so I think this will go in the chiller res, and will take the place of the tstat on the unit. Then I will have hot and cold lines going to each ice box, I'm thinking g I will get a 50 gallon drum, and an insulation jacket for water heaters for the res.

I will run a dedicated 20 amp ckt to the chiller and then start growing some really good shit!

13. That would be great!

14. The size of pump is based on how far you have to go with the water and how high you have to move it...

[​IMG]

15. Thanks for the drawing, this is how we're doing this brah. :hello::hello:

16. Perfect, thanks for the link.

17. Not sure if it will even work, how pliable it is or nothing....
    But for $12 for 200', I'm sure I can use it for something if it does not work for this....

Because I wanted something other than PVC for my return...
    So this may work out perfect.... :D

18. I'm gona look at pex tubing. I think that's what it's called. It comes in red and blue. It's what the plumbers use on all the new houses. The cool thing about it is all the fittings just slip on no glue No crimping. It's rated for the pressure and the temps. It's very fast and easy.

19. Well the cold side you will want to put the insulation on so you do not loose cooling on the way to the Ice Boxes..
    How are you going to build the Ice Boxes???

Or you just going to buy them???

I'm making an air exchanger to work the whole room using these...
    New Heater Core Natural Jeep Wrangler TJ 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 | eBay

But they are 7" x 7-1/2"...
    So you could make an Ice Box with a couple "6" duct takeoff" and some Galvanized Panning

Some foil tape and done deal....
    After the first one, would cost like $30 for each Ice Box to make...

I was going to stack them, so two of them heater cores, so the air coming out is a LOT colder then the air being sucked in... ;)
    Then control room temp with the fan speed controller....

:wave: