Let's Build a Water Cooling System

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by jakesterjammin, Aug 31, 2017.

1. I found them in your media files
    upload_2017-9-3_10-22-38.png

• Like Like x 2
  2. LOL Thanks man :biggrin:

I also took apart a 24,000 BTU portable dual hose A/C and turned it into a chiller...
    What I did was bent the A/C's evap lines so the evap was flat, then I built a sheet metal casing for it sort of like I did for the Iceboxes, and had a 1-1/2 inlet to it (hot water return) and a 2" outlet (cold water after it ran over the evap) into the 55 gal. barrel, to be picked up by a 1/2hp pump and then sent out to the Iceboxes again..

It worked perfectly, that was 3yrs ago, it's still working for the guy, and he loves it.. lol

Attached Files:

• 44.jpg
      44.jpg
      File size:
      24.2 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Your a genius man, haha I wish I thought of that sorta stuff off the top of my head. I'm building a massive fish tank about 500 600 gallons and I need a chiller to offset against the big hid lamps, leds and t5s I'm using I need to keep that at 24.5 degrees or as close to it as I can and keep it stable this is blatantly what I need.

My latest creation...SOUR DEISEL, STRAWBERRY HAZE first run to test before the gorilla glue #4 go in!
    SOUR DEISEL, STRAWBERRY HAZE & GHOST WRECK

4. Yeah man, if you bought a $150 24,000 Window A/C unit and converted it, then run some stainless steel tubing through your water tank(s) and then I'm thinking (depending on the length of the tubing) a 1/2hp pump would be fine...

The GPH is not as important as the head (how high or far the pump can push the water).
    Because you want to run the water through the tubing somewhat slow to give it time to absorb the heat from the tank as it runs through the tubing.

Make sense?

Oh and a 24,000 but window unit is the exact same as the 12,000 unit I did in the first post.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah mate I'm with you all the way... I'm familiar with the water chemistry being a reef keeper too.

I've got a few car a.c. units lying about here tbh I might have to have a go at converting one of them although I don't know if it will be big enough I've only got the frame so far but I'm slowly progressing. Lol.
    I'd much rather make one then buy one since I'm diying the whole tank.

I've shit loads of pumps lying about so that's cool too ha win win.

My latest creation...SOUR DEISEL, STRAWBERRY HAZE first run to test before the gorilla glue #4 go in!
    SOUR DEISEL, STRAWBERRY HAZE & GHOST WRECK

• Like Like x 1
  6. That depends on what evap you're going to use, if you can solder two evaps together so they run off the same compressor, that should work, and give you enough cooling...

You should be able to run two evaps off one compressor as long as they're both before the expansion valve and close together so the tubing between the two evaps does not heat up enough to turn the liquid into a gas acting like an expansion valve, both evaps "should" run at the same pressure/temp because r-134a does not act like the old r-12 systems..

Of hook up two A/C systems to the motor so you can have two evaps cooling the water..
    I was an ASE master for over 15yrs so if you need help with anything, just holla bro...

:passing-joint:

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Naaaaa, I just like building shit...
    When I was an auto tech I was the one they gave the problem cars, the cars where the customer's been back a few times for the same problem, I was the one who got the problem cars...

So I like fixing and coming up with solutions for problems...
    I just like to tinker... lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. Here are some of your pics. Not sure why they didn't post for you.

2094199-9939379bad677c23881d1c99072f2d91.jpg
    2094188-a10f10b5e954d2e60f4de717fdada831.jpg 2094182-e6fa963f726d9923156d16b5ac5146fa.jpg
    2094170-7429b31c433696f3fac64e487681dd7c.jpg 2094185-c8d73836ac9e5e70800267090b31b50e.jpg 2094187-8445e77d2f5bc1098cafefead5bbdcd2.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Pretty slick!
    I did similar a few years back. Didn't document the build, but mention it here and some more here.
    Always a fan of DIY solutions.

• Like Like x 2
  10. That's cool man!

Yeah not sure why they didn't post up because I uploaded them to my albums and posted them using the media.

Thanks! I love building new shit like this build... lol

:passing-joint:

• Like Like x 3