Lets Build a Clone Machine *Step by Step*

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Rumpleforeskin, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Hello everyone i modified my cloner to do something else besides what it is made for: i removed my pump,sprayers and my manifold from my 6-sighted hexagon cloner and replaced them with a large airstone w/airpump,left half of my 3 of my 6 netpots uncut ;put in rapid root starters in the uncut netpots put in a seed in each one made myself a combo cloner/germinator and it works great it took the guess work out of the germinating process i put in a aquarium heater to keep my water warm when i germinate,made a dome (to retrofit my rig)to keep things warm on top,i may make it only a germinator,if i replace the remainder 3 cut netpots with uncut ones but i could not have thought this idea up if it hadn't been for this tutorial from rump,so i thank you rump so very much!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. You inspired me to build my own and it works like magic on my hard to clone mobb boss. I also added a heater to keep the water a constant 78 degrees. Thanks.

3. This clone mechine is what made me want to try hydro. It was so simple.

4. Can I use these mist jets;
    Pope Micro Jet Mist Spray - 10 Pack
    I'm in Australia and I can find those ones you have on here

5. I think my quote answered your question. It will work, but they tend to clog.

6. I was wondering about the distance of the misters/sprayers from the top of the bucket. I have the same setup, same misters, but they are only about 5" from the top of my container... I can't afford the height, I was wondering if it'd still work as good with the misters so close.

If it will work, great, if not I will get a taller container for the cloner and build a little "cloner" grow box because I can't fit a 5 gallon bucket in my current small grow box... Either way I may have to make a cloner grow box with a CFL or two, but just wondering if I should have the misters further away from the top or if it matters or not.

Anyone else try this with the misters closer?

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Haha, I just realized I already posted this exact question a long time ago. As you can see I still haven't used the cloner machine :p

Anyway, if anyone else has tried this with the misters closer to the top, lemme know how it went!

8. #1229 Atmo, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    Well, testing out this cloner I made, I know the misters are very close but we'll see. Not sure I took the best cuttings but I've got 3 in the machine now.. right now they are in a room with a light on (diffuse dim light very high up... pretty sure they are normal bulbs... maybe I should hang a low watt CFL?) next to the window light.. gonna keep em there and see if they root. Mostly for an experiment... used cuttings I took from underneath a flat canopy...

Seeing how I can't really fit this smaller "bucket" into my veg chamber anyway I may as well get a taller container.. especially one I don't have to block out myself (this last container was clear so I light proofed it) - maybe build a very small box for clones with a very dim CFL way up high for rooting. I'll have to take a look around the forum to see what people use for "clone boxes" or if ambient window light is sufficient (it is winter after-all.. not much daylight... but hoping the light in the room will help) - Should I have a CFL in that room? I'm fairly certain the lights in that room are normal bulbs.. maybe I can replace them with CFLs... high ceilings so I imagine the diffuse CFL light should work out, yeah?

Hoping to see some roots come out of at least one of these babies! Not sure if I will regrow this plant but I definitely wanted to test this cloner for future reference. I have plans to grow the Vortex strain soon, seems perfect for me. Maybe I'll do a quick small grow if one of these clones actually root, just for more testing with my new organic soil and stuff. Quick veg and flower just for fun.. or hell, maybe I'll end up growing it into a big scrog plant again.. not sure yet.

Thanks for all the info in this thread!

edit: Here are my clones (probably 2-3 days in the cloner by now. The leaves were kinda rough around the edges before putting them in the cloner as well.. just figured "why not" instead of throwing them away):

[​IMG]

Not sure if they are appropriate for cloning... too many leaves? Wasn't sure.. I just snipped off nodes that weren't making it to the canopy and using those.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Does your guys water get pretty warm with the aqua pump on 24/7? Wasn't sure if the warmer water was good or if I should be changing it.

Also, was curious about putting a little FulPower in the water - has anyone tried this? I know the misters alone give really good results, but just a thought I had!

Thanks!

10. I know this thread doesn't seem so active lately but I'll ask anyway:
    I accidentally left my misters off for like... 9 hours today. Came home and they were pretty droopy - will they come back to life or has that much amount of "dry time" pretty much killed them?
    I know I'll find out sooner or later but figured I'd ask..
    Thanks!

11. They might come back

12. @Rumpleforeskin Yeah they sprang back up... but.. I don't know if I took proper cuttings to be honest... It was really a quick test for me to see if they would root.. it's been almost 2 weeks with no signs of roots and the cut sections of the stem are brown.. although the top leaves are still green and look decent, the stems straightened and stiffened back up. lower leaves have yellowed and died, though.

I'll admit I didn't use a razor blade to cut at a 45 degree angle, instead I used my sterile trimming scissors to cut a 45 degree angle. Do you think this crushed cell walls or somehow prevented rooting? Humidy has been very low in my area as well.

So yeah, I'm not quite sure if it's because the misters are too close, I didn't take proper cuttings (I think? First time trying to clone.. I honestly just took nice looking "branches" when I was trimming my plant)), I cut with scissors, humidity was high, etc.

I'm gonna leave it running for a bit still, I know you said you had some strains take about 3 weeks to show roots so we shall see! I may end up just using the 5 gallon bucket instead like you have there.

Do your cuts go a little brown before showing roots or do they stay "fresh" and green?

13. It depends how long it takes to root. Some strains or cutting take a long time, they tend to brown and even lose a leaf or two. Mostly it just looks the same and roots in a week and a half.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wow...this thread was started in 09 and is still going. I didn't read the whole thread. I built a 24 site out of a rubbermaid tote, very similar to what you've built. I tried it once with less than stellar results. It seemed that running my pump 24/7 heated up the water too much and water became slimey. I saw that you run your pump 24/7. That hasn't been an issue for you? Thinking about giving it a try again. I'm gonna add more misters, as I already have extras, and incorporate a bigger tote. Do you think running pump 15min on 15 off will still work? That's just my logic of controlling water temp. More water and less run time with pump. Lemme know your thoughts plz.

15. I clone all year in all temps. Just leave it on. Thanks for the kind words

16. Is anyone adding any notes to their reservoir, i.e. Clonex or super thrive?

17. Rump thanks for the great diy. I have never clone before and already got a tray, dome and heat mat to start, but after reading this entire thread about what you and others have accomplished this method seems like it will work great. I just got finished building mine and can't wait to get some clones going. Thanks for all your work and dedication of teaching others.

18. Please post pictures of you machine. I would love to see it.