Lets Build a Clone Machine *Step by Step*

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Rumpleforeskin, Aug 13, 2009.

1. i bought it today, its a Via Aqua VA306, 526GPH, i wanted to try it because the cloner 30 uses a 490gph pump for 14 360 nozzles according to my local grow shop. so we will see how it is i guess. they also had a 315gph for $10 less.

also home depot never heard of a #22 drill bit, where do i find it.

also, i bought pvc cement and primer, the rep said i need the primer, did you use it?

thanks, this is awesome!

2. i have buily a similar unit but use air bubbler do you use a timer on yours i cant seem to keep my clones alive

3. #63 cray1000, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2009
    Ok the pump i bought doesnt have threads on the top. it appears that the 1/2 pvc will fit in the slip fitting on the pump top though, is that ok? sucks it doesnt have the threads though.

Also, the #10 wood screws i got dont seem to have the same thread as the ez clone sprayers. its similiar thickness but the threads are much further spaced on the wood screw, is this ok? i am having trouble getting the ez cloners in the #10 wood screw threaded hole. i cant get them to go in at all really, they just spin and dont even start to thread in with max pressure.

4. this is the best cloner ever, i built one 8 months ago, n i dont even have to do nothin, just pop them in n in 8 days roots... beee a utiftul....

hint, if u want to use a smaller pump (cause there pricy here) just use smaller piping, like 10-13mm thick..... same result still...

5. THIS SHOULD B A STICKY

its the best cloner going

u said u dont even use gel? i
    still use gel, because someone told me it seals he cut...

6. Ok, make sure to never talk to that guy at Homedepot again (he is not real swift). Drill bits have quite few different labels for the same size. Some of the main ways drills are labeled are: Letter drills (A,B,C,D etc.), number drills (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.), fraction drills ( 1/32", 1/8", etc.), and I even think they are done in metric (have not seen them).

Now that you know that bit of almost useless information, you can ask the tool guy to see a small drill bit set. Look on the label and if it has a fraction drill 5/32" or either number drill 22 or 23. Most sets will also give you the decimal equivalent (.150 to .160). I am not sure if they sell single drills that size. 99% of any small set you can buy will have either a #22 or 5/32" drill. You should not have to spend more then a few bucks on a very basic set of bits. The hole saw or Forstner Bit may be another story (they tend to cost a bit more).

You dont need a primer. We are not building a sewer to city code, geez. Yeah, stay away from that guy.

• Like Like x 1

7. Keep the pump on 24/7 (always). I think we know why your clones are not making it:D.

8. #68 Rumpleforeskin, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2009

Would have been much nicer to have the threads in the top of that pump. Do what you have to do to make it work. The via Aqua 1300 has threads so I never tried or even looked at other brands.

The threads are not identical, but seem to be close enough. If you cant get it in, then run the drill in the hole a few times more to widen the hole just a bit. Screw the #10 wood screw in again and try with a fresh ez cloner mister. A few of mine took some coaxing and finger strength. If that does not work, get another brand wood screw or sheet metal self tapper.

9. yeah it sucks, i am going to see if i can find a pump with threads or just order the 1300 (i hate that shipping is the same as product!)

weird, i tried a different spray head and it went in every whole. some are just tough as you say, hopefully i can get them all in, if not i guess those wood screws i bought will work well as plugs :)

my pvc part is done! it came out great, part is a little crooked but not biggy, i bought a wrong cap (wrong bin of course its threaded this one) so i need to wait till tomorrow to try it out.

but between this and my new bucket, your how to's rock, i cant wait for another one!

10. am new here ,what a great thread this is ,ok i think i can make one ,but ,once the clones are big and ready too take out can a place them in soil and then start veg/flowering ???

may seen a silly question but its one i dont know.

11. Yeah, just place them in some potting soil and they wont waste any time taking off. Let us know if you need any help after that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. here is what i have done so far, my bubble bucket in the background :)

Attached Files:

13. #73 boricuapuffer, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    hey Rumple, how do you determine what submersible pump gph rating to use if your building your own cloner/grow chamber??? thanks

Bp:cool:

14. I have been using this style of cloner for a few yrs now and could not imagine going back to humidity domes/soil...ect again. Cant beat them in my opinion.

Nice thread Rump,
    _Numb_

15. Bout time someone asked this question.

The answer is: I have no idea. It is what came in my retail clone machine, so I just stuck with it.

16. Cray you are the first to do my build. Seems your are just about ready to fill the house up with plants.

Great work!

17. #77 leafman, Aug 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2009
    ok i have a small bucket for 5 clones ,now i have a low powered fish take sub pump ,its got a very smll connettion so the pipes in this thread wont fit into it,what i have done is take a biro pen ,took the insides out and placed the empty tube into the hole on the pump,turned the pump on and it pushing the warter up thu the tube but i have no spayer on the end ,i put a deodrent spay top on the end of the pen tube and its spaying a fine line of warter ,not a fine mist but a line of warter ,now i have tryed differnt spay connecters on the end of the pen tube but there all the same so i tryed a hair muse connecter and its a little better it shoots 2 not a fineish lines of warter up towards the roots area ,now here is my question .

if i fill the bucket up to near the roots and let the 2 fine lines of warer bolw towards roots and then splash back down into the warter will this be ok? i mean will the mist off the splashing be effective ? or doas it have too be a very fine mist too be effective?

thanks.

18. ok i just made a small cloneing machine ,now i couldent get the pipeing so as above i just went with the empty pen tub and a spining micro spayer that i got ,seens too work goos and the spining spayer spays warter in a circular motion around al the roots ,i will be tapeing the bucket with balck tape later today ,here are some pics ,any tips comments would be great.:confused:

Attached Files:

19. i have a 400 wat hps light ,is this ok for the clones ??

20. i was just gonna ask the same thing lol and thank you very much for the step by step, i has actually built a bucket and a tub yesterday both took about an hour total.