Lets Build a Bubble Bucket *Step by Step*

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Rumpleforeskin, Oct 29, 2006.

1. hey Rumpleforeskin...i followed ur instructions to making the bucket and it looks pretty good. im just wondering what i else i need in regards to lighting and what not to get these plants growing. also, before i put the seeds in the bucket, do i need to put the seeds in a wet paper towel to get the sprouted? any information from anyone would be greatly appreciated

2. HopDatNi66a, this might be a good question for a new thread of your own. How to grow weed in my bubble bucket is another book. If you look at my signature it will give you a link to my stealth closet grow . You will find details of what I use to grow weed in my bubble-buckets. A billion variations of DWC grows can be found here at GC and other forums.

Don't plant a seed in the clay pebbles. I would sprout the seed in a wet paper towel, plant it in a small pot of good potting soil, take a clone from it when it's about 6" tall, plant the clone in a bubble-bubket. If it turns out female, and you like the harvest results, then you have a mother plant that will last forever.

Mork, the coolers I installed are "Ice Probes" from Coolworks" . They are used for aquariums and water coolers. They bring down the temps about 8F. I can't tell you if they are worthwhile or not. Thought I would give them a try (someone was giving two away on Ebay).

Peace, R.

[​IMG]

3. Hey R, im new to this site and have never grown before. Got to say first of sick post. Then the few questions i have.
    1. I think i understand all the constuction but im not sure how you get fresh watter in, Even with that top valve
    2. Im sure this is a real noob question ( thats what i am) You are not using just watter but what els is need in there as far as nutrients, or did i just overlook that somwhere

Again nice post man, and thanks in advance for any help

4. Sorry one more thing i had forgoten to ask. How loud is the thing, would one be able to sleep if in was in a closet in your bedroom?

5. I can sleep with 3 fine, although you can hear it well, just get high and you'll get used to it.

6. You can fill your buckets right through the rocks or gravity/pump feed it into the fill hole. I use a bucket with a valve attached to the bottom of it, hook it to the fill hole via a small pond pump. I used this same way of filling with out the pond pump as well. Just set it on a chair and hook a hose from the bucket with a valve on the bottom to the bubble-bucket fill hole.

I wrote this thread to help folks build a bubble-bucket. If you want to learn how to grow using hydroponics, then you need to check out some of the other great threads here at Grasscity. Its kinda like asking your mechanic for driving lessons. He could teach you, but he may not be your best resource.

R.

• Like Like x 1
  7. verry true man, i didnt think about it that way

thanks for all the other help though

8. I just want to be clear on the overall purpose of this bucket.

So, I have this bucket on the ground, say. I have another bucket with a drain hole only that i keep above the first bucket. A tube attaches the fill hold of the first, lower, bucket, to the drain on the upper bucket? And the first won't overflow or anything?

Also, when is the solution to be changed? Should the water come to the bottom of my pot, and wetten my planting material via cappilary action?

Thanks for your time!

9. yo i have one or maybe two questions...i get the set up, its very efficient...but from you didnt mention continues nutrient adding...do you just simply add the nutrients straight to the water after changing it? how often should the water be changed....which nutrients are the best to use in the generial consenses among growers.....?? let me know please and thank you....Also

i read the lighting suggestion for the bucket but since im poor im going to improvise....these are the flourecents im using http://www.homeharvest.com/fluorescenttubes.htm and a uv lamp plus maybe some 60watt malmart grow lamp...doesnt that sound like a disaster or might it work?

• If you raise one bucket over the rest, then it will cause the others to overflow.
    • You change the nutrient solution when the feeding system you are using requires you to do so.

• I mix my nutrient solution before I add it to my bubble-bucket.
    • I don't know who makes the best nutrients (like asking who makes the best beer), I use General Hydroponics Flora.
    • Flourecent lights are good for cloning, and that about it.

10. Rumple: so how do you get water from the reservoir to the BB?

And when does the feeding system require me to do so?

• Reservoir is connected to the bubble-bucket's drain valve. All buckets hooked together will find the same level. Fill the reservoir and all the buckets fill.
    • You have to choose a hydroponic feeding system. I use the Lucas Formula. It is simple and works well.

11. I can save you all that trouble and time by telling you that coco will be as good if not better than growing this way....

12. What is a coco grow?

13. Growing in coconut fibre...Canna make it for growing mj in..Its ph balanced and has added goodies in it such as tricoderma...

14. Coco sucks....

I prefer coffee.

15. Hey RFS,
    In your opinion is this DWC buckets the easiest method. I have setup my current room with bins and sprinkler setup but these buckets of yours I really like and they are awesome for non square rooms with odd shapes. I do have a couple buckets set up but here is the bulk of the room.

Attached Files:

16. DWC is not the easiest method. Soil was much easier and took less of my time.

17. So I realize what your saying. Time is more consumed but these days at my age ,I like it. What is your opinion of my buckets.......ie will they work. I see by your pics that you have done well for yourself.
    I would like your advice on ferts and quatity. I have a water softener that uses salt but I am worried about it. My PH is perfect out of the softener. My concern is the salt. Any experience with this. Years ago when I got busted I had a standard ebb and flow setup. I had tremendous problems with my water there. If I setup a RO unit it will clog quickly from the salt. I cannot find a place to bypass the softener or turn it off. The assholes hook it right next to my water meter so I use softened water even washing my car or watering my lawn. The next time they stop in I'm getting them to change it.

Thanks for any advice.....what do you use