Lets Build a Bubble Bucket *Step by Step*

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Rumpleforeskin, Oct 29, 2006.

1. doing leak test #2, other then the pump filling faster then what the return will take I'm doing pretty good.

in total my res is sitting at about 15 gallon an if I wanted to I could probably hit 20-25 gallon but.... if shit goes down i'd rather have less to mop up if you know what I mean. ill get a pic of the setup once implemented.

2. oh the joys. I got the system up and going, but I need a back flow preventer on the reservoir output. as well I need to find a way of adjusting the pump speed since the bucket fills faster then what water can drain.

3. I'm sorry if this may sound like a stupid question, but still I really have no idea how do you fill your grow bucket with nutrients water from the top entry pipe?

4. You can use a small pond pump or utility pump to transfer the solution. I sometime just pour it right into the basket

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ah okay.. is it possible to omit installing the top piece of PVC male connector if the plan to fill the bucket will be via pouring from the top?

6. I have amended my build a few times in this thread to include the top fill.

7. #5767 Revo, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
    A very interesting read. I was wondering if you use some sort of "quick attach fitting" or Roto clips for attaching the H2O pump to the 1/2" pvc adapter on the ball valves, as to move it between buckets? or just push on the hose every time? Thank you Rumpleforeskin . Also I would like to thank every other contributor to the thread.

8. I have modified my setup quite a bit. I found barbed fittings seem to work best for the hose.

Thanks for the kind words

9. Finished reading 5,768 posts. Thanks Rumple... This thread is still helping newbs like me.

I was considering tee'ing out of a low spot on my res, running horizontal in both direction to each grow bucket, 90 degree up just outside the grow buckets and enter about an inch or two below the water line. in the vertical sections of pipe i was going to put in a small air stone, hoping the rising bubbles in the 2 vertical sections of pipe would briskly move water and nutes throughout the system, 24/7. Then I wondered if roots would clog these air rich 3/4" pipes during a grow.

Thanks for any thoughts

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. I'm having some trouble visualizing your proposed setup. If you could post a picture or drawing, it will help.

With that said, most systems will work, just how will is the question. Make it real simple to use, maintain and clean. Hook it up so you can remove any item for repair during the middle of the grow.

I still use my buckets to this day. I don't use PVC fittings to breach the buckets anymore. Standard bulkhead fittings are very common now days and work much better.
    Remember, this thread is very old. When I wrote it, no legal marijuana was able to grow any place. Hydro stores were dangerous and expensive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I do plumbing and have access to any fittings and tubing i need. I plan to breach only with quick-connect bulkheads and use flex tubing off of barbs between anything, inline valves so i don't stress the plastic bucket, etc

I should have it built within a week or two and I'll show some pics but, in theory... If I put an air stone in at the base of a vertical pipe, the upward motion of the bubbles will move water upwards through that pipe as long as that pipe stays below the water line. If i connect the lower end to one bucket, and the higher end to the other, it will pull water from one bucket to the other (via rising bubbles and water) as long as there is a return.

12. Hello. Rump!

I think it's been since 2013 that I posted on GC. . .

13. Was hoping you would update your You Tube channel. Love the snapping turtle.

14. Lol. Did a whole dwc grow with a nova tec chiller, absolutely worked. 5gal bucket & 4x4 tent w/ 2x sp250s.

Bought a second one in fact for my new rdwc system (15gal) Works wonders.
    No increase in air temp. If there was, it must have been half a degree.

So glad I didnt have to buy $300+ for a wattage guzzling, space consuming chiller.

Haven't tried it with a closet grow.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. So, I made one of these, and your cloner (thanks!), and I am thinking of making a second. If I wanted to connect them would that be possible? Or am I best off just having two separate ones in my tent?

16. I like to hook them together. Makes filling them go faster. Don't use my lame bulkhead fittings. Buy good ones from any aquarium store online.

• Like Like x 1